AVS Forum banner

$1200-$1300 receiver confusion

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  HT Nut 
#1 ·
I am looking for a receiver to pair with Focal 807V bookshelves. Planning to run 2.0, then 2.1 by summer, expanding to 5.1 later.

Budget: $1200-1300

Uses: 60% HT/40% music

Specific features:

- Upconversion of analog signals to 1080p- upconversion of HDMI to 1080p would be a great plus as well if possible, but I know it could be a pipe dream at this price point.

- # of HDMI inputs not a concern- 3 would be a nice baseline

I would like to buy from the local dealer who is supplying my Focal speakers, but the only brands that the store carries within my price range are Denon and Integra.

The Integra 7.8 is within my price range, but it only upconverts to 720p. The Denon 3808 does the upconversion duty, but the laundry list of bugs/problems associated with it worries me.

So, with that in mind, I am open to suggestions. I was wondering about the relative importance of video upconversion in a receiver. I am planning to buy the Oppo 983 and/or a Blu-ray player in the near future, so I wouldn't necessarily need the receiver to step in there. The only components I have that might benefit from some video processing might be the Wii, but that's about it. As a result, I am looking for input into the importance of video conversion further down the road- given my plans for this system, do you believe it would be important for me to have video upconversion for the future, like for a 1080p TV that I will get? Video upconversion is not critical, more of a "nice to have" for use at a later date.

The following are receivers I am considering:

Marantz 7002- My only worry with this receiver is its capability to really crank out power at higher volumes, like for HT. I don't think the 8002 would be within my price range. I know Marantz doesn't do video upconversion, but I figure if it's not that critical to the system, then why use it? Not sure if the premium Marantz commands would be worth it...

Pioneer Elite 92- I can't find very much information in the way of professional reviews for this receiver online.

I am not interested in the Onkyo 805 or 875. The reported heat and speaker popping issues have been a major turnoff. The Integra line is still in consideration because I have not seen any reports of similar problems.

Yamaha RX-V1800/3800.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? I appreciate any input you all have.

Thanks,

Tyler

See less See more
#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrand1 /forum/post/12901702

I am looking for a receiver to pair with Focal 807V bookshelves. Planning to run 2.0, then 2.1 by summer, expanding to 5.1 later.

Budget: $1200-1300

Uses: 60% HT/40% music

Specific features:

- Upconversion of analog signals to 1080p- upconversion of HDMI to 1080p would be a great plus as well if possible, but I know it could be a pipe dream at this price point.

- # of HDMI inputs not a concern- 3 would be a nice baseline

I would like to buy from the local dealer who is supplying my Focal speakers, but the only brands that the store carries within my price range are Denon and Integra.

The Integra 7.8 is within my price range, but it only upconverts to 720p. The Denon 3808 does the upconversion duty, but the laundry list of bugs/problems associated with it worries me.

So, with that in mind, I am open to suggestions. I was wondering about the relative importance of video upconversion in a receiver. I am planning to buy the Oppo 983 and/or a Blu-ray player in the near future, so I wouldn't necessarily need the receiver to step in there. The only components I have that might benefit from some video processing might be the Wii, but that's about it. As a result, I am looking for input into the importance of video conversion further down the road- given my plans for this system, do you believe it would be important for me to have video upconversion for the future, like for a 1080p TV that I will get? Video upconversion is not critical, more of a "nice to have" for use at a later date.

The following are receivers I am considering:

Marantz 7002- My only worry with this receiver is its capability to really crank out power at higher volumes, like for HT. I don't think the 8002 would be within my price range. I know Marantz doesn't do video upconversion, but I figure if it's not that critical to the system, then why use it? Not sure if the premium Marantz commands would be worth it...

Pioneer Elite 92- I can't find very much information in the way of professional reviews for this receiver online.

I am not interested in the Onkyo 805 or 875. The reported heat and speaker popping issues have been a major turnoff. The Integra line is still in consideration because I have not seen any reports of similar problems.

Yamaha RX-V1800/3800.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? I appreciate any input you all have.

Thanks,

Tyler

Between Yamaha 3800 and Denon 3808, it is hard to decide which one is better. Personally I feel Yamaha has better sound quality. It may be different for another person. Denon released many firware updates and most of the issues reported earlier got fixed with these firmware updates. Yamaha doesn't have any major issues reported (other than the click sound while skipping chapters on Blue-Ray or HD-DVD players when watching Dolby True HD or HTS Mater HD). Denon has video upscaling for almost every type of input signals where as Yamaha does video upscaling only on anolog sources with 480i/480p575i/576p.

#3 ·
#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknown /forum/post/12902349

Between Yamaha 3800 and Denon 3808, it is hard to decide which one is better. Personally I feel Yamaha has better sound quality. It may be different for another person. Denon released many firware updates and most of the issues reported earlier got fixed with these firmware updates. Yamaha doesn't have any major issues reported (other than the click sound while skipping chapters on Blue-Ray or HD-DVD players when watching Dolby True HD or HTS Mater HD). Denon has video upscaling for almost every type of input signals where as Yamaha does video upscaling only on anolog sources with 480i/480p575i/576p.

Thanks for your response. The Yamaha and Denon are frontrunners right now, and it is frustrating to try and decide between the two. I have primarily heard the Focal speakers I'm getting on a Denon receiver, and have had no complaints, and the Denon does do the upconversion I mentioned in the first post. However, this doesn't serve as a negative for the Yamaha, it just doesn't do HDMI upconversion, which isn't as important as the analog conversion to me at least.

I know the Yamaha does 10wpc more than the Denon, but that is largely inconsequential. Does anyone know which Burr-Brown DAC model is used in the Yamaha? (PCMxxxx) I know some people were not very happy with the Burr Browns used in the Denon when compared to the Onkyo 875...

Keep the suggestions coming, everyone. I'm off to read the endless pages on the Denon 3808 to see if the issues mentioned have been resolved, but if anyone has additional insights on those bugs, feel free to chime in

#8 ·
Do not cut the Pio 92 from your short list if you are 60%HT. It is a great receiver. I just picked up my Pio 94 today. Cannot wait to get it installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.