AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a surround receiver and 5.1 (6.1/7.1?) speaker system for a small den about 250 sq ft in size. I'll be using this mostly for connection to digital cable box, which gives me analog as well as PCM and DD from an AC3 connection.

SVideo switching will be important, as I'll be using PC svideo out, digital cable out, possibly Tivo out, and game console(s) out. HD is way down the road for this room, so component switching may be overkill.

My cable box S/PDIF is coax. I imagine the Tivo is TOSlink, as the PS2 and Xbox are. The pc has both Dolby Soundstorm coax S/PDIF and a Revolution sound card, with analog 7.1. I know the Revo has Circle Sound II, but I don't want to be forced to use it as a processor for tv surround purposes.

An absolute must is ProLogicII or better. I've been stunned by the difference between ProLogic and ProLogic II. Are there any ProLogicIIx units out there in my price range yet? 2 channel music will not be a priority.

The digital cable box only sends out PCM or DD sound on channels 100+, and the receiver must be able to switch to the analog L+R when the cable box goes below 100.

I know some of you have cables worth $1500, but I would be delighted if I could get some guidance and advice. If you think I can do this for less, kindly advise.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Right up until you said Pro-Logic II, I was going to pm you about my AVR-5700. Sigh. PL II really is a step up. It is so good that I am having trouble deciding whether to keep my $299 Onkyo 494 receiver with PL II or keep the $3,000 (in its time) Denon without it.

That is definitely not a no-brainer.

David

·
Registered
23 Posts
For speakers, you I'd suggest considering either the AV123 ELTs or the Ascend Acoustics packages. There's a bunch of other good sub/sat systems at around $1k - take your pick.

For a receiver, the Denon 1804 sounds right. I just checked to see if it had the auto sensing on analog or digital inputs that my 3300 has, and it does. You sound tight on the number of digital inputs for this price point - good luck there. Since you're looking right now, you may want to check out the sale and offer that AV123 has going.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok.. I've seen that the DPLIIx is just now being released. What do you folks think about the "entry level" recievers that are scheduled for release with that feature?

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
You won't be able to tell the difference in your room size. You would need substantially more sq ft with room behind your listening position. There are many sub/sat combos in your price range. The denon 1804 is a good choice. The is also a pioneer with auto MCACC near that $$$...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.