AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone it's almost my 20th birthday, therefore I would like to treat myself to something new in my home set up. I have right aroun 1200$ to spend not a penny more.

My setup now :

Center: martin Logan encore tf

Mains: Polk audio rti 1000's

Rears: definitive monitor 350's

Subwoofer: paradigm ps1200

Receiver: Yamaha rxv 863

I was planning on buying a HSU VTF15H but is there any other suggestions on how I should spend the $1200? Thanks everyone

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
All the front stage speakers and sub could stand to be upgraded. The VTF15h would be an amazing sup and upgrade, but I would do the fundamentals first, replace the front stage, and get them in a matching set. I would go for good bookshelf speakers. Ascend CMTs, JBL Studio 530s, Klipsch RF62s, to name a few that would be a real upgrade over what you have now.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I eventually would like to upgrade to the klipsch reference series for the front stage but thats for when I move out into my own house im in a 10x12 room right now so the front stage is good enough for me at the moment

·
Registered
332 Posts
Where are you located? You can find some good things on the used market.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckubs  /t/1523120/1200-to-spend-on-new-audio-equipment#post_24499066

Im north east Philadelphia area I keep an eye out on craigslist but I don't want to buy used anymore Id rather pay the extra for the new stuff

I live in Reading area and Craigslist is BEAT in PA!!!! I have yet to find anything remotely interesting on CL. And if I did, I never hear back when I inquire.

Personally, I would start matching items. That would be my priority, but I am anal like that.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckubs  /t/1523120/1200-to-spend-on-new-audio-equipment#post_24499398

Yeah I hear you, my set up now really sounds good. My only complaint is that my bass is a little muddy so I'm thinking of upgrading the sub for now
Have you done a subwoofer crawl? Sometimes its positioning can be an issue.

Though don't let me steer you away from the VTF-15 in your small 960 cu. ft. room (assuming you have 8 ft ceilings)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes 960 cu. FT. is correct. I have I have tried corner loading and a bunch of other places... the bass is loud just not crisp and powerful. The sub I have now I think is 15 years old so it's a little outdated so I am looking to buy a new sub. From what I heard the HSU should bring the walls down

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckubs  /t/1523120/1200-to-spend-on-new-audio-equipment#post_24500474

Yes 960 cu. FT. is correct. I have I have tried corner loading and a bunch of other places... the bass is loud just not crisp and powerful. The sub I have now I think is 15 years old so it's a little outdated so I am looking to buy a new sub. From what I heard the HSU should bring the walls down
Yeah it would but so would a VTF-2 Mk4 which would allow you to get matching front 3 sound stage.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But like I said I might wait until I move out to upgrade to the klipsch reference series I want to get a good set of speakers for the front and I dont think 1200$ will cover it

·
Registered
19,800 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckubs  /t/1523120/1200-to-spend-on-new-audio-equipment#post_24500809

But like I said I might wait until I move out to upgrade to the klipsch reference series I want to get a good set of speakers for the front and I dont think 1200$ will cover it
The HSU HB-1 and and HC-1 is no slouch in terms of speakers. Personally I would be more willing to give the HSU Speakers a try as Klipsch speakers always give me a headache.

Another option in terms of combo's to try:

- HTD Level TWO Bookshelf Speakers , $200/pair

- HTD Level TWO Center Channel Speaker , $130

- SVS PB-2000 Subwoofer , $800

Both the speakers from HTD and subwoofer from SVS come with a risk-free in home trial guarantee, so you can demo the product in the room that matters, YOURS. That is something you don't get from HSU.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR  /t/1523120/1200-to-spend-on-new-audio-equipment#post_24501294

I reckon you'd be putting all your eggs in one basket with a single large sub at the expense of a LCR upgrade. Better to go with a good quality moderate sized sub in that relatively small room and add a second identical one later on (if you really need it), after all speakers are upgraded.

For your current $1200 budget, I would go with an LCR + sub combo from Ascend Acoustics/Rythmik Audio:

Mains: CBM-170 SE pair

Center: CMT-340 SE center

Sub: Rythmik LV12R Servo Sub

All up in the Ascend shopping cart that comes to $1245 shipped.

Later on, you could look at a pair of CMT-340 SE's for the mains and move the 170's to surround duty.

If you did this but SVS PB-1000 instead of the Rythmik I believe it would be just under $1200.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
You get a discount buying a Rythmik sub with Ascend speakers, so for the small difference it is worth going with the LV12R in my opinion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.