AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so basically I was about to spend over $10,000 on a speaker system from this sound technician dude. He was trying to sell me two Crest CA9 amps, eq, crossover, and a mixer and some really nice sounding custom speakers that he said were his own brand... Everything new! I have to admit they did sound amazing and really loud.

I asked him for a print out of all the gear and when I got home and checked everything out on the Internet I found almost everything to over priced... I found the amps for $1400, he wanted almost 2200. The sub was a duel 18 600rms each driver in one box $2500. I found the same drivers for $180 each just have to build a box. The other 2 speakers consisted of two 12s, one med speaker and big bullet tweeter. He rated them at 1200rms each box and was asking for 3500 for the pair..

Well after thinking about it I decided to build the boxes (I'm a carpenter) buying some good drivers and getting the rest online. Will save me a lot of money.

I was hoping some one could help me out on what I should buy.

I was thinking of getting 2 crest audio CA12 amps been told they are really good and I can get them for $1700 on proaudio.com

One for subs and one for mids and highs. But I'm completely open to suggestions.

I was hoping you guys could give me some tips on what parts I should use for the speakers.

Thanks for reading... Grammar is not my strong point...

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
My first thought is that a nice kit or published design that you can build nice enclosures for with your mad carpentry skills sounds like just what you need. Unless you really want to devote tons of time (months, years) to learning the art of designing a speaker from the ground up and building several iterations as you learn more.

There are a tone of such kits and designs out there. All the questions in the post above are still very crucial in the forum helping to guide you towards the few best candidates for your needs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/0

welcome and neat story. you will get a ton of ideas.

do these need to be portable or will they be used in an install?

what will the application be? do you need 10hz, 20hz, 30hz extension? do you know what you need?

what about spl?

do you have any size considerations, weight considerations?

do they have to be pretty or can they have an industrial appearance?

roughly, what budget range are you in and how flexible is it?

do you have measurement gear and how comfortable would you be tweaking an active system for crossover points, slopes, phase, distance and so on (any experience there or not so much)?

I would prefer that they be portable.

I have no idea about the 10,20,30hz thing.

Or the spl

Size and weight not much of an issue.

I would like to finish them with that black speaker fabric.

I would like to spend under $10000 for the complete system with amps and crassover, eq .

Is crest CA12 a good amp? If so I would like to build the system around 2 of them...

The sound guy was trying to push two 18ws600 in one box for the subs

And two 3 way box's that were rated at 1200rms each no idea what was in them.

Dbx 1231 eq, dbx 234xs crossover, and a pioneer mixer

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/0

or by "three way" do you mean two ways on sticks and subs?

I prefer passive speakers. The sound dude said "two 18's for lows and a 3 way for mid low's, mid's and highs" I believe they were two 12" subs, mid speaker, and a big bullet tweeter built with internal crossovers...

·
Registered
7,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/20840484

"This thread needs a reset."

how do you mean?

It means you need to learn how to use the quote buttons.

No, I just meant it needs to start over from scratch. Explain the goals, etc.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardocard /forum/post/0

Those subs look sweet. But I have been told to stay away from Behringer...

For what reason...there power is peak not RMS but testing has been done to figure out exactly what wattage you actually get continuous. For a little more than $300 a piece you are saving a ton of money. Comes out to $400 with guitar centers pro coverage and then you can throw them in the bathtub and get a new one.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Two LMS-U's would be really cool but not quite in the same spectrum of spirit that this build would require. Two TD18H's or JBL 2242's would be more proper for this build, imo. Maybe even dual B&C21SW152's. Yeah.

Also, going passive? Yeah. Good luck with that. I think everyone here would love to be able to make a passive crossover for just about any speaker but one only needs to do about 10mins of reading of how to do a proper (ie: well designed) passive crossover to know that is an incredibly daunting task and I'm just talking a relatively "simple" 2-way speaker. Going 3-way or 4-way....wow, watch out and get ready to lose your hair or have it all turn grey on you. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence. Not at all but from what I have read so far, I somewhat doubt that you could get a good passive design made for a 'from the ground up' system build like this. It's not impossible but.... I sure hope you're an expert on making passive crossovers cuz if you're not, you might want to think about going active. Really consider it as a probable option for this build.

You have all sorts of options for your budget and your design criteria. Plenty of helpful members around here to help you out too. I wish you the best of luck, good sir and welcome!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm no where near expert status when it comes to all this. I'm actually kinda new to all this. But if given the right parts to do the job and the right info, I can build anything.

I just don't know what the right parts are...

Is it possible to make one box for every driver and get external crossover? Would that be easier? Sound better?

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
"Two TD18H's or JBL 2242's would be more proper for this build, imo. Maybe even dual B&C21SW152's. Yeah."

ricci has a nice build around the b&c 21sw152 for a low tuned pro audio app. they turned out really nice and can handle a ton of power. good suggestions all three scott.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok personally I listen to all typs of music. Mostly rock, and hip-hop. And I want that base line in "a milli" to sound amazing, I want to feel it in my gut...

The b&c21sw152 look awsome do they have a nice punch?

And what type of amp and box would I need for two of them?

Please direct me to a picture of a box if you can...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.