AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi André,

There are quite a few people in this forum who have Barco 1209s like you are contemplating. Fewer, used to have them: they usually wind up keeping them to the bitter end. ;)

It is reputedly one of the best CRT projectors that can be found (at least in the top ten) with its 9 inch Cathodic Ray Tubes and their distinct ability to project very fine detail.

However, it is this very virtue which will prevent a Barco 1209 from properly projecting a relatively low resolution signal of 480P, the basic definition of an NTSC standard.

The 1209 is reputed as having among the sharpest scan lines one can find: this means a very sharp picture at high resolutions, but it also means that you will see extremely contrasted scan lines when projecting too low a definition, such as 480P. What is recommended for such a projector is more in the vicinity of 960P (double 480P).

This implies the addition of a scaler to your system. For this there's the Video Processor forum here at AV Science to discover the answer to every unsuspected question that might emerge.

As with most CRT projectors, anamorphic input will enable you to operate what is refered to as the "Anamorphic Squeeze", meaning that the projector receives the signal as a 4:3 wideband message (with more information) and then uses its full raster before squeezing down the image to the proper aspect ratio with user defined settings.

There used to be a thread by Alan Gouger, co-founder of the AV Science forum and co-owner of AV Science (great place to shop!) which first brought up this possibility. Can't seem to locate it for you now, in any of the forums or archives, maybe someone can post a link?

In any case, it appears that you've lucked upon a fine projector, as long as it is in good condition. After a few weeks spent in the AV Science forum you should know where you're headed.

All the best of luck - I'll turn over the discussion to the Barco experts here who will truly amaze you with their acumen.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
25,501 Posts
"...Anamorphic Squeeze", meaning that the projector receives the signal as a 4:3 wideband message (with more information) and then uses its full raster before squeezing"

This might be a bit confusing. The projector uses more of its capability for number of scan lines, but less of the raster height is used.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I've recently seen a 1209s working, with a fine set-up (with an HTPC as source)

Great image. Incredible resolution and solid colors.

It's very big, anyway. A real huge beast, incredibly quiet and not very much bright, excellent image quality, but (maybe) too big...

just the my opinion on that.

Romano

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Originally posted by Brett

Hi André,

There are quite a few people in this forum who have Barco 1209s

Snip....

Well, first of all; thank you. Thanx a lot. That was a good answer:)

That's one of the things I like with AVS forum, good answers, not like other places where 85% of all threads end up with flaming.

Something went wrong some place. It wasn't 1209s, it was 1209/2. I am not sure about the differences.

Anyway, as you said - it needs more than 480p ($ good-bye...).

What I really want is a Faroudja, but I'll guess it will have to wait. Is I have heard, the options is Quadscan or Vigatec. To my knowledge, DVDO doesn't go over 480p.

I have read good things about the Rock, but 5000 is too much for me now. Later maybe...

Opinions ?

André

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tomsavini
What I really want is a Faroudja, but I'll guess it will have to wait. Is I have heard, the options is Quadscan or Vigatec. To my knowledge, DVDO doesn't go over 480p.

I have read good things about the Rock, but 5000 is too much for me now. Later maybe...

Opinions ?
Andre,

Yes- the DVDO Iscan is limited to line-doubling (480p).

For scaling to higher resolutions, the others you mentioned would do the job, though the Vigatec, Rock, and Faroudja are a league above the Quadscan (and the Crystal Image) in terms of quality. They're also around x2 to x3 the price.

If you want to save some money, an HTPC is an excellent option. It'll give you close to Rock (which is essentially a specialized HTPC to begin with) or Faroudja quality for a fraction of the price. See the HTPC forum for more information. You may already have most of the items you need (any PC with at least 600MHz, a good video card with the GeForce2 or Radeon).

Kal

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi André!

I own a 1209/2 and I can highly recommend it. It produces a great image, better than my local cinemas in fact... (well to me anyway).

I currently use it with an HTPC equipped with a GeForce 2 and a M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 audio card. For the moment I run it at [email protected] b/c I have it too far away from the screen...

A word of warning though. It is very big, but almost silent.

And, also check which kind of lenses that are on it. Mine are HD10L which can only produce a 93" (diagonal 4x3) image, which is a bit smaller than I'd like, but I guess that's life.

I love it, and I'm sure you will too! :D

Regards,

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.