AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 120hz or 240hz native refresh that I see on some of the Vizio, Samsung, and LG displays (and others) usually (or even always) mean that I can hook up a computer with HDMI at 1080p / 120 or 1080p / 240 respectively?

I thought this was unique to the Vizio P series at first with their "high velocity gaming mode" but now I figure if the native refresh of the display is one of these then an HTPC should be able to sync at one of those rates at 1080p. True or false?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Very few sets can do 1080p @ 120hz. Heck, the Vizio P series actually advertised this, but according to the official thread here, there's a bug that prevents it from actually working.

I'm fairly certain there are no sets that can go over 120hz. I doubt that's even part of the HDMI spec sheet ([email protected] is at least an optional format... although rarely supported. I don't think 240hz was ever even considered an optional format).

It is frustrating to try and find this info. A number of sets can overclock to 120hz input, but there's no central database. It also doesn't help that 3D is no longer the big marketing push. Because unlike these current sets, those needed true 120hz refresh rates. It didn't guarantee 120hz input, but it guaranteed that the 120hz "Refresh Rate" was true and wasn't marketing BS.

http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv/

You can find little nuggets here and there, but there's no real central data base where you can go and see what sets can actually be driven at 120hz @1080p.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.