AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market to replace an old 36inch CRT that's in dire need of replacing but would like to get a 3d screen. I am currently using a SyncMaster 2233 with Nvidia glasses to game on and was wondering if all I had to do was get a 42 inch lcd or plsama that was 120hz and thus it would be 3d with glasses?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Uhhh. . . do you mean 3d for the Nivida gear, or 3d for coming blu-ray players and cable/sat STBs, or both?

I think the answer is "no" either way. If it doesn't say it is 3d capable, it likely isn't --even if it is a 120hz set. Even that Samsung monitor of yours shows "3D" on the box it comes in. You'll note that Nvidia bundled that monitor with the 3D package --they wouldn't have needed to do that if there was general compatibility out there; they don't make money selling somebody else's monitor (well, maybe a little, but not much).

And, indeed, Nvidia has a page of compatible hardware, including displays, and it is pretty short: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Visi...uirements.html It'll likely be a goodly bit longer in another 2-6 months as 2010 model availability announcements start pouring out.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Hactar, All new LCD 3D HDTVs compatible with the full 3D blu-ray standards will have 240Hz panels. Plama models will be capable or refrehing their screens at 120Hz.

Saying is that all 120Hz or 240HZ display screens are 3D screens is like saying that if all trucks made by general motors have V8 engines that any vehicle with a V8 engine is a truck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts