AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(sort of a crosspost. I origionally posted this in the sony xbr4/5 thread days ago but received no replies. I thought I might get better results in here.)

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on getting the Sony 52' xbr4, but of course I have last minute questions. My overwhelming use of the tv would be as a monitor. I'll probably do occasional surfing on it, but I will have a 22" monitor for that still. So the tv will be used mostly for movies (from my htpc) and sometimes videogames (from the PC, not a console!).

I'm really drawn to the 120hz for blu-ray'ing and the motionflow (I like this despite how a lot of others feel about it).

Question time:

1. Using a blu-ray rom drive, will the computer output 24fps, and will the tv accept it using 120hz? Everything I read references standalone players or the PS3.

2. I'm not sure if my video card (a 8800gtx) or any card outputs at 120hz, but if they do, will the tv show my desktop at 120hz or something less like 72hz or 60hz? No biggy for looking at my desktop, but if I'm playing a game I would like to be running at 120hz refresh.

3. Does the motionflow tech give any visual benefit when playing videogames (from a computer)?

If I'll be using 60hz for everything but watching blu-ray, then paying the premium for less studder might not be worth it to me.

Thank you for the clarifications!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
When using a dvi-to-hdmi connection, you can select refresh rates of 24, 30, and 60 Hz. The VGA connection only lets you select 60 Hz if I remember correctly. There is no way to directly send 120 Hz to an XBR4. The 120 Hz is only through motionflow, and not the original signal.

You probably want to turn off the motion flow when playing video games, but you could leave it turned on. Motionflow does great on low fps material like movies, but less so in high speed action like video games.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese /forum/post/13017917

I followed that link, and I didn't read anything that clarified, well, anything.

From the Hands on Research Tab at the provided link.

"

Auto Motion Plus 120Hz: Auto Motion Plus 120Hz offer faster frame rates for a clearer picture. This technology doubles the frame rate from 60 to 120 frames per second (120Hz LCD panel) without repeating the same image to make more frames. The TV intelligently calculates the 'middle' image between frame A and frame B and inserts it in between (Auto Motion Plus 120Hz processor), making a fluid transition from one frame to the next.

"

The quote does not state the interpolation details for other frame rates received but the concept is the same. For example it the incoming video frame rate is 30FPS then the TV creates 3 additional display refresh frames between each pair of video frames received.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand how 120hz is a multiple of 5 for 24fps material, or a multiple for other *fps, which helps remove 3:2 pulldown and thus studder. But what I was trying to ask was when feeding a signal from a computer, will the tv have 1:1 or will it do the duplication of frames to get to 120hz.

gorthocar: if I'm not mistaken, 120hz and motionflow are separte things. You can't turn off the 120hz refresh rate, but you can turn off the tv's ability to "create" transision frames (the tech that makes movies appear more life like).

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Doubles 60FPS from PC to 120FPS. You can't output 120Hz from the PC to the input of the display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese /forum/post/13023285

I understand how 120hz is a multiple of 5 for 24fps material, or a multiple for other *fps, which helps remove 3:2 pulldown and thus studder. But what I was trying to ask was when feeding a signal from a computer, will the tv have 1:1 or will it do the duplication of frames to get to 120hz.

gorthocar: if I'm not mistaken, 120hz and motionflow are separte things. You can't turn off the 120hz refresh rate, but you can turn off the tv's ability to "create" transision frames (the tech that makes movies appear more life like).

·
Registered
32 Posts
also the dvi connections on video cards have a 60Hz limit (if im not mistaken)

so the TV may be able to do 120Hz but its doing that in the tv itsself kind of like how a 1080p tv must deinterlace a 1080i signal

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
perfect. Thanks for the clarification. It's much appreciated.

Is anyone able to comment on a blu-ray rom outputing 24fps? I'm sure it does, but I just want to feel all warm & fuzzing knowing for sure.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet /forum/post/13024148

Doubles 60FPS from PC to 120FPS. You can't output 120Hz from the PC to the input of the display.

46LX177:

You can force the refresh rate in the OS, and MPC will see it at that rate also. The TV can multiscan from 24Hz to 60Hz, and accepts 24p input native.

·
Registered
229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryD123 /forum/post/13029540

How does a 120hz tv go with PAL material? Or are 120hz TV's only to be sold in NTSC areas?

I suspect they don't. They probably do the "speed up" thing you're probably used to seeing on PAL sources.

Can anyone explain to me why, after the advent of HD in the states, various countries chose to continue the mismatch between framerates? Couldn't we all settle on a frame rate?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts