AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal...I've been researching CRTs for a few months (mostly through this fabulous forum ;)) and was pretty intent on getting a 1030/31q. Well, my brother-in-law's boss is selling a 1251q. I was taking my time in searching for a 1031, as I was hoping to pick one up for about $300-400, maybe 500 for a unit that seems to be in great shape.

Well, here's the deal with the 1251. It has less than 100 hours on it. This guy owned his own AV business up north somewhere (maybe Minnesota), and sold a bunch of these to a big company. This unit was the reserve PJ that they'd use very infrequently (mostly in a cafeteria for an occasional presentation). Well, they slowly but surely replaced all their CRTs with LCDs, and this was the last one to go since it was just the backup. Well, he bought it from them for his personal use for when he bought a home. He paid $1,200 for it about three years ago, and it's been tucked away ever since. His new home here in Austin has a pretty small living room, and he bought a 43" plasma, so it's just taking up space (plus when he gets a PJ, he says he wants 9" CRTs).

I was hoping to get it for $600 or so until I found out how few hours it had. Can 100 hours on a CRT cause any wear or burn-in? I figure that no matter how hard they were running it, it should be okay. Am I off here? He's going to set it up at his shop (they've got a screen that needs to go back to the dealer) so that I can see it. He suggested I bring my DVD player to see how it looked. Well, $600 is out of the question. He told me he was probably going to put it in the paper for $1,000-1,100. I figure I can offer him $800 and would be willing to pay the full grand. Is this a good deal? BTW, I do believe him about the hours. I don't know if you can reset them or not on the 1251, but he seems like a straight shooter, plus I know where he works and who he works for. Just doesn't seem like he's trying to pull one over on me.

He said he'd help set it up (hang it, converge it, the whole 9). He has the sony mount (the slim-line/thin-line, whatever it's called) for it, wires, manual, remote, shims, et cetera. It's basically new without the box. So any opinions? I've been biding my time, but I don't want to let an awesome PJ pass me by just because I couldn't pull the trigger. Heeeeeeeeeelp!!!! :eek: Thanks to all, and thanks to AVS.

Steve

P.S. This is about twice the budget I was looking at, but with the remote, near-new condition, ceiling mount, set-up help, et cetera, is it a stretch or a "don't pass up" kind of deal? Honestly, if the 1031q can do 540p and the sweet spot (at least what I think I've read) for a 1251q is 600p, I'm not sure there's that much PQ improvement, but it's the barely-used tubes that has really piqued my interest. Thanks again, and sorry for the rambling, rambling, rambling post :D.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I think that is a great deal. It sounds like he has everything. Which is a big plus. The tubes can be checked if you remove the lenses. Take off the blue only, as it wears the fastest. If they look perfect I would believe the amount of hours. Helping you set it up is another big plus. I think you would be better off with this set up as it would be very hard to find a better deal.

Deron

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Hey,

Just make sure he hangs it securely. I've mounted my 1271 twice now. Once in my last apt and now in the home I rent. You will have to sit under the projector so make sure he hangs it securely.

I would think there is a big enough difference between the 1031 and the 1251 to warrant the extra bucks, esp if the tubes are in good shape.

Make sure it has the RGBVH connections and not just S-Vid.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys.

How much of an improvement is a 1251 over a 1031 if you take into account a line doubler? I see that a lot of people think the 1251 looks best at 480p or 540p, and I think I've seen similar numbers for the 1031? If it weren't for the very light wear, I think I'd still be shopping for a 1031 because of its size, but I'd love to be able to save my settings as opposed to picking a size to project. I can't help but think this 1251 is a deal I should jump on. I go to check it out tomorrow, so I think it may be time to pull the trigger. Thanks for the input (more input would still be appreciated as I'll probably check the forum before I go see the PJ ;)). Thanks, everyone.

Steve

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
With the 1251 you get larger CRT's, digital controls, 150 more lumens, scans higher, more resolution, 9 point convergence, higher resale value...

Deron

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Just my $.02 but I agree with everyone else, it sonds like a really great deal and a pj with that low an hour count will have tubes that are still putting out their full brightness, they should look really good.

The improvement over the 1031 more than makes up for the price difference and the accessories and help are worth thousands by themselves. While the sweet spot for a 1251 may be 480p you would not be LIMITED to that res by the capabilities of the projector as you are with a 1031. The 1251 will do HDTV pretty easily and I'm not sure the 1031 could.

I would leap on this for the full asking price, but you'll likely get it for the $800. offer if you point out he won't have to go to the hassle of having strangers in his house or lots of goofs droping by his business. The remotes for these are worth $250. alone, and the mount is another $500. retail. Take all the cables, accessories, etc. you are offered and be sure to ask if there's any more. Maybe you'll end up with a line doubler thrown in ?

·
Registered
451 Posts
If the hours are indeed that low then it is a great deal. Go for it. When you turn the machine on if it doesn't display an all white warm up screen, then press the test button for a few seconds and select yes to go into serviceman mode (kind of sexist shouldn't it be service person mode :) ). Press test again untill you get a full white screen. Look for any discolorations in the image. If none, buy it! :)

-Audiophil

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went and looked at the PJ today. It's freakin' HUGE! I checked out the dimensions at projectorspecs, but it really doesn't hit you until you see it. It just looked enormous. He did pull up a white screen, and it was white as it could be. Pulled up the hours, and it showed 36. Thing looks to be in excellent shape. I did see that it was manufactured in '92, I think (on the right side of it). Would that be right? I thought they were manufactured in the mid '90s, say starting from about '94. Guess not.

Nevertheless, it just looks like too good a deal to pass on. He's got all the manuals and the ceiling mount. I'm not sure about cables. I brought my bedroom DVD player (just s-vid) to check it out. I didn't see any cables there. He's got the Sony ceiling mount as well. I was really impressed with the colors of this thing. It hasn't even been VE'd, and it looked pretty dang good with flesh tones, nothing like the presets on my direct-view TV.

Anyhow, he's willing to take $900, so I think I've got to go for it. It's more than I wanted to spend, and it's a much bigger PJ, but I think all the extra bells and whistles and the low hours means I have to just get it now, and hope to be able to use it once I get it home. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I'm sure I'll have to post more in the future, as I have no first-hand experience with PJs.

Steve

P.S. He did say he'd help get it all set up (I think he's talking about convergence and whatnot, not installation, but my brother-in-law works for an audio place, and he hangs stuff all the time), but I'm wondering if I shouldn't try it myself so I can learn all of the little tricks. Thanks again, and I'm sure y'all will be hearing from me soon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wish you were in Charlotte NC I would sell you one with less than 400 hours for less than $1000.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just read you got it with ceiling mounts for $900!!!

Now that is an awesome deal!!!

I paid like $300 for a mount for my 1271Q

·
Registered
281 Posts
steve-

great find! didn't see this thread till now. i think you're definitely better of with the extra lumens (didn't you say you didn't have super great light control in your living room) even though i bet that baby is a monster to mount!

-paul

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I'll be watching at night until I figure out some light control. And, yes, it is enormous. I had never seen a 10 series before, much less a 12 series. I'm guessing that getting 140 pounds up to about 8-9 feet is going to be just pure fun.

BTW, I could probably come over Sunday with VE. I'll give you a ring. My email is [email protected] . I really want to see how you did your screen, too.

Steve

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I own 2 1251's and a 1252. These are great projectors!

That is a great price for any 12XX Sony with a good blue tube. You got more than a fair deal considering the shape it is in, the remote, and the mount.

Add a line doubler or an HTPC and you will be the envy of the neighborhood!

Willie

Cheesehead

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, Willie.

Well, I just spoke to Dan, and it's a done deal. $900 for everything. He's also going to throw in some Stewart (sp?) screen material and some aluminum framing to put it on (they had to eat the costs on a project he did up north, and he kept the screen material for future use).

I was planning on doing a Plas-Tex screen, and I may still have to because the Stewart material is for rear projection. He told me you could somehow make it work for front projection, but then why would I need the Stewart material at all if I'm going to use another material in front of it (he mentioned something yesterday about the material used to cover boats)? He said it would be easier to explain once I saw the screen stuff. I'm picking everything up on Monday, and then the questions will really be flying.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone here for all the information I've been told and that which I have gleaned from my searches on this forum. I was a regular at Home Theater Forum, but when I started asking about PJs, I was pointed here. Thank God. Thanks again, all.

Steve

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, Oskar.

I've very happy with the PJ so far. I got it for $900, and I'll be selling the screen he gave me for another $500 (actually 600, but I'm giving my father-in-law $100 to deliver it to California). The screen was a nice Stewart rear projection screen (but huge), but I'm doing front projection and going a wee bit smaller (92" wide, not 112").

So the final cost will be about $400 for the PJ, and I'm thrilled with it. Right now I'm just projecting on my wall, and it looks great. Can't wait to get a doubler and a screen thrown into the mix.

Steve

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 1251 with 2600 hrs. that I paid $500 for. I also have a Dwin Ld-2 on it and the pic is great. One thing to remember about the Sony's is there are spare parts everywhere and that alot of other brands use Sony tubes. You can get a Dwin or a Sony 1271 Switcher on Ebay pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Sounds just you got a great deal! I've been toying with the idea of getting a 12xx.

In defense of the 1031Q though - It is much smaller, lighter, and quieter. Replace the two 80mm 28db fans with 12db fans and you have a very quiet projector. In addition, 480p is the 1031Q's sweet spot (talk to Jason and he'll say even higher @ 48Hz!). And yes, the 1031Q is HDTV capable. Plus SD-187 tubes are inexpensive and plentiful as far as CRT tubes go. Sure it's analog but there is something about popping off the cover (I don't even keep my cover screwed on anymore!) and playing with pots! The 1251Q though definately has the advantage in improved optics and resolution capabilities over the 1031Q. Still, HTPC + 1031Q = eye candy. Lesson to be learned? : HTPC + 1251Q = eye candy! :D

Enjoy your 1251Q!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quote:
Sure it's analog but there is something about popping off the cover (I don't even keep my cover screwed on anymore!) and playing with pots!
Hehehe, you too? I do that all the time! :D

Its fun!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.