Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Has anyone done the upgrade from 1252 to 1272?

What is involved?

Do you get the higher scan rate as well as the 21 point convergence?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi,

i have the same question for a barcovision 701s to barcodata 701s....

Apparently it seams it would be too expensive regarding the jump in quality as it's a question of changing boards etc...

But if anyone know how...:)

·
Registered
496 Posts
I dont know for sure, but according to several posts on the forum it is only a matter of changing the firmware to upgrade the 52 to being a 72.

--Kieth

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bump.....

Hope this bump is worthy....

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
We did some experimenting a few months ago taking the firmware out of a 1272 and putting it in the 1252. What we found was that the convergence went from 9 point to 21 point. That's a good thing.

I never really had an opportunity to run frequencies into this 52 to see if it came up to 72 specs. I have a suspision it won't.

Terry

·
Registered
118 Posts
As we "speak" I'm trying to get my 1252Q upgrade to work. I'm damn frustrated.

It's a REALLY simple upgrade. Replace the Y board and you'll notice the following...

1) the CRT hour meter will change to the 1272Q hour count the board was removed from (tested- OK)

2) the Projector will now accept a line quadrupled image (tested - OK)

3) the convergence will be totally hosed (tested - OK unfortunately)

4) 21 point convergence will APPEAR to be there (tested - NOT OK)

Chuchuf- did you or your colleagues actually test that the 21 point convergence actually works? While my 1252 shows 21 points, only 1-9 actually are adjustable. Points 10-21 are not changable regardless of the setting (i.e. MAX & MIN do not appear to change the convergence at all)

Were there any other DIP switches etc that needed to be changed?

The upgrade was $250 through a reputable projection parts dealer (their site is widely used for projection specs) plus freight. I've been guaranteed they'll make it right for me, BUT I WANT IT NOW!! :p

This combined with the fact that I found out my sale of my NHT speakers fell through and my Magnepan center idea didn't work, along with a damaged cable I bought is REALLY RUINING MY WEEK.

Anybody want to trade a pair of Maggie 1.6QR's for a pair of MMG's plus some $$ in the NY area? E-Mail me: [email protected]

BTW- the Astig adjustment is a miserable task :confused:

·
Registered
118 Posts
An update:

There are DIP switches on the Y Board. Who knows what they do? I'm really hesitant to play with them.

1:23AM another update:

Found chaper 4 of the service manual which told me how to "reinitialize the Y board after an EEPROM upgrade"

Lots of dip switch talk and Vulcan mysticism.

After 3 hours of reconverging my picture (which looks awfully good now) and cursing I still can't adjust points 10-21.

The sad part is...

I'll need to reconverge it anyway when I find out how to get the board working. Oh well I needed the practice. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Bump!

Anybody have the Service Manual that could look this up for me? I can't find the SM online. The one at Biggerhamme.net is a component level manual with diagrams of the boards but no info on how to set DIPs etc.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.