AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from another thread but it may be best in its own. Any help would be VERY appreciative. Thx....

OK, problem number one...

Projector arrives. It looks very clean.

I powered it up, looked inside the CRTs, they look great. Not completely sure what Im looking at but they are bright and the over all unit looks very bright and very clean. No scratches at all on the OUTISIDE.

OK, now I take the unit in my home and lay it on the carpet VERY GENTLY. No, I didnt see any big static electric sparks or anything like that.

Power it up and it shuts down after 2 sec. Try again. Same thing. Try a new outlet, same thing...

So where do I go from here? I checked the 2 fans on top of the unoit and they start up. It looks extremely clean inside the unit. I cant see a spec of dust with the top off.

But there has to be some basic things I can check WITHOUT any type of volt meters, etc.

Any ideas anyone? Any main resetting I could try? ANything?

Feeling like a schmuck right now

John

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So far, took the lid off and everything looked fine. I found 4 fans. They all were running (and very quiet, I may add). Ive read there are 7 fans. Dont know where the other 3 are or if there really are any...

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had a sony 1272qm. It had a small board on one of the sides that displayed an error code in the event of a problem. Does the 1270 have this?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I dont see the small board anywhere. Unless Im missing something.

I did find a fifth fan. havent found number 6 or number 7 yet...

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Hey,

You may want to seek some literature. Some chapters of the service manual and the entire installation manual as well as PJCALC (try it, you may like it) can be found here...

http://www.biggerhammer.net/mediaroom/

I have a 1271 so I can't tell you if the problem code exists in the 1270. It could be a stopped fan. It could also be something else.

Where did you power it up the first time? Sometimes when you bring something inside from outside you can get condenstation and that could be a factor.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im in AZ and its very dry here. No condensation...

I will double check for error codes. But the service manual really doesnt tell me what to do with them. I have a feeling its one of the other 2 fans or a fuse attached to them. I read something similiar in another thread. But I dont know where that specific fuse is or how to get to it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found the last 2 fans. They are all running. And no, there is definately not an error code board on the 1270Q

Maybe that fuse....

·
Registered
548 Posts
I don't know if the sony is build with many cards and connectors, (my barcos are)... If so, I would check connections between boards, etc. Something might have jiggled loose in shipping. My first barco (that was 4 projectors ago) was dead when I got it due to a loose power supply.

Good luck. You will find that the image quality you get from a tuned CRT SMOKES a lcd of at least 5x the price. (I can't vouch for anything over 5x :) )

-Garrick

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took the Power Supply but the only fuse I found was the MAIN power supply which is fine.

Checked all connections and everything looks nice and tight.

Right now, Im looking forward to my new LCD to arrive. Im frustrated! :(

Wont give up! Cant give up! Must go on!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Does the unit make any noises when it starts up?

My 1270 had the same problem it would shut down after 2 seconds.

It was the E board. When i replaced the eboard it still did the same thing then I found out the Small fan between them was pinched together. I loosened it up and then retighted. Then the projector started up just fine.

there are many different problems that will tell it to go into protection mode the major Problem is to find it.

I have a Troubleshooting guide sent to me by Bill Parsons. I can send it too you if you like.

Just send me your email address

Darin

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It makes no starange noises. Just sounds like its going to start warming up then powers off. I hear the CRT crackling after it powers back down. The little light in the rear changes from green back to red. Not too sure what that little light is yet. Probably nothing important. Just PM'd you NTHEZONE. Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK getting somewhere... Found all the boards which can be rest. I reset them all and it finally powered up. Now, if I leave the board that lifts on the hinge up, it works, as soon as I lower that board and restart the unit, it powers off. I dont see it crimping any cables or wires. I dont see any bad connections. What I do see it that someone has modified (i think) a cable (grey) which looks like an RCA plug and now it sticks out the back of the unit. I looks like they hooked it up to bypass all the inputs in the back. But even there, I dont see anything strange. Now to figure out how to get the picture reversed (looks like this was a ceiling mount rear projection unit).

Start reading!

I obviously need to look more into the board oproblems. I cant figure out where it is shorting out or whats going on. Very strange.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Check that big board for dry solder joints. Mine had 4 of em it worked but had a few intermitten problems.

Look especially at the areas where the PCB is discoloured as they run the hottest.

The best way is to get a plastic handled screwdriver and tap around the board an try to find a sensitive area. then look very closely.

Have fun, these machines are not all that complex. Being old, solder joints broken wires seem to make up most of the problems.

Graham

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, Ive noticed the rear fan (the small one) makes a lot of noise. Im thinking about replacing it with a new one from electronics store. I also received instructions to d a reset today. Ill look into all the solder joints

thanks

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Make sure you get a replacement fan with Ball races for bearings. The sleave bearing fans are very noisey, and sort of whine. Like the one I bought.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 1270 did the exact same thing when I got it home. I noticed it would either work or not depending on the position of the hinged panel. I removed both boards from the panel and re-soldered every joint on them. I re-installed them and it's worked ever since.

There are 6 plugs that have to be relocated on the two boards on the hinged panel to reverse the image upside down. The installation manual details how to change them. As well as a host of other info on setting it up. There are links to pdf files of the users and installation manuals in the archives here. I recommend getting them.

Overall mine has been a good initiation to the world of CRT. I have learned plenty. Now if I only had EM focus...........

Dan

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was able to reverse the picture. Actually, I did it with 3 plugs. Thanks much. Since there are probably 300 solder joints, that really doesnt sound like a fun day! :)

Good idea though.

I have a PJ500 LCD projector oming in any day. Got to be honest, just throwing that thing up on the ceiling and watching it within moments sounds very appealing. By the time I pay someone to get th SONY on the ceiling, focus it accurately, etc, the SONY isnt so inexpensive anymore...

I may stick with LCD just for the convenience of it all. I completely realise I would be giving up picure quality though. Guess Ill see within a week or so.

Thanks for all the SONY advice, gonna make a wekend project out of getting all the bugs out before I set this up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My mistake. 3 plugs is correct. The other 3 are for reversing the image for front/rear projection.

Actually the soldering wasn't that bad. Less that a couple hours. Mostly just re-flowing the joints and adding a small dab to some. But then again, I was a tech and used to solder boards for a living.

I use DLP's and LCD's at work daily and I find the image of my Sony much preferrable for movies. Not quite as crisp for text but much more film like. It really depends on your application and preferences as to which is better for you.

Dan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.