AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Kurt Palmer i know you will be able to answer this !!!

Guys, I have just landed a 1271Q here in Australia. Now I have read quite a bit about these machines and seem to remember that they are auto voltage selectable and able to work on 110V and 240V by changing the mains fuse.

Well I was just reading the manual and it appears there is two models the 1271Q for 110V and the 127QM for 240VAC.

Ahhhhh is there really no difference except the fuse rating.

I don't like the thought that I may be wrong and blow the **** out of it

Advice please !!!! what mods do i have to make it it is not auto switchable for operation on 240VAC.

Graham

·
Registered
345 Posts
Graham,

AFAIK the difference between the two is that the 'Q' is 110v only, and the QM is dual voltage (110 or 240v fuse selectable)

If i take the front panel off my 1271QM, it has a screw in fuse just below the mains plug, which where I expect you can change it to accept the 2 different voltages.

Curiously, my 1272QM does not have the fuse in the same place...

you will either need a step down transformer, or a power supply from a 1271 QM.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats interesting, I just got a manual for a 1271QM on loan from Sony and I have a manual for a 1271Q that I down loaded.

Get this, the bloody things are identical except for an extra choke in the RFI mains filter on the input !!! That shouldn't make any operational difference.

So the plot thickens.

Well I just pulled the powersupply out of the projector and opened it and guess what.

Inside on the PCB is a large wire jumper that has two positions one says 200AC and the other says 110AC.

So I just hope I didn't completely bugger it the other night when I switched it on. I did see the thermal fuse start to glow. I hope thats all thats stuffed on it now.

I'll change this and see

Wish me luck

Graham

·
Registered
345 Posts
good luck,

let us know how you go. I know someone who has a 1272Q on its way to brisbane who is interested in this voltage issue...

keep us posted

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pasey25
good luck,

let us know how you go. I know someone who has a 1272Q on its way to brisbane who is interested in this voltage issue...

keep us posted
That would be me. :) I bought the 1272Q on the assumption that I may need to swap power supply with QM to switch it to 240v.

I've gotten conflicting reports whether the Q(110v) models can be easily modified to support 240v. Some people say yes, some people say no.

Graham, much appreciated if you could let us know the result. Good Luck. :)

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Cobra all I have is good news,

I have extensively checked the power supply circuit diagram and can confirm that the supply is identical beyween the Q and the QM.

I can also confirm that it is the same between the 1270 and the 1271.

On checking the circuit, the wire link is a heavy duty afair with two high pressure contact Quick connects onto two spade lugs soldered on the PCB.

When I checked it. The wire jumper changes the Mains rectifier bridge from being centre tapped to not. That is the only difference. It is also marked on the board 200VAC in one position and 100vac in the other.

This is all good.

Now I have to get the supply working as I have buggered it now by plugging it in. I will replace the gas arrester and also the thermal fuse, that should do it.

But the better news for me is that I removed the lenses and the tubes are absolutely perfect with no burns or wear marks whatsoever. You have to strike it lucky sometimes. I only paid AUD $1300 for it.

I asked Sony how much for a QM supply, $1450 Yikes. 4 weeks delivery from Japan.

I could send you a photo of the Board jumper if you want as I have to pull the supply out of the 1270 anyway.

Anyone know who may like to buy a 1270 for about AUD $3000 ????

P.S. the correct rated fuse is 6.3 amp Time delay for operation at 240vac

Regards Graham

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks Graham, that is good news.

Thanks also for the details on the fuse.

Will let you know if I need any more info when I have the 1272 in my hot little hands. Should be straight forward.

Will let you know how it goes.

Keep us informed of your progress in fixing the 1272 power supply. You can find 2nd hand 12xx series power supplies for a reasonable price if required. But sounds like yours should be fixable.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahhh just in case Cobra. Where are these power supplies ???

Graham

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.