AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the option of purchasing a Sony 1272 with newish tubes for around $3000.

My other option is a Sony D50 with around 1500 hours on it for $2.2 grand

I plan to display the projector on a 100" screen and Im hoping to use a HTPC to feed the projector a 720p signal.

So the question is which one should I get?

Someone I talked to who knows a bit about them said that they would both be essentially the same and that the difference in CRT sizes between the 2 models wouldn't equate to much of a difference for me visually given that I'm only projecting onto a 100" screen.

He said that there would not really be much of a difference visually between the two

I don't know a lot about projectors so I was wondering if the learned members of this forum could impart some of their wisdom upon me :)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
The D50 has a couple of advantages over the 12xx line.
  • It's smaller - Less high (thick?) than the 12xx, it will hang closer to the ceiling.
  • It's quieter - The D50 makes less noise. Sony greatly improved the airflow.
  • It may be more flexible - If this is a D50 HTU, it will have two 5 BNC inputs already.
  • It's more attractive - The D50 case is more streamlined.
  • It's easier to get into to tweek - The 12xx case also has fragile plastic tabs holding the back on.

I've installed D50s, I own a 1252. If I had been able to get a D50 with the same hours at the same price, I probably would have gone with it. While neither can really resolve 1080i, the 12xx should be able to resolve 720p. But both will deliver a pleasing picture.

Get a good look at both if you can, especially to see how hard the tubes have been run.

·
Registered
115 Posts
well, I really have no direct experience with these models of projectors. So I can't directly answer your questions with personal experience. But I do know this...... you are paying too much for that 1272Q projector. All you have to do is look in the classifieds here at AVS to see some nice 1272Q's going for less money. Depending on where you live (your location isn't specified), they would likely save you a few bucks. Or there are members on this forum that sell used projectors that could likely get you a low hour unit for the same or less money. The D50 seems like a decent price though...

Also, a lot of people keep posting that the 1272 will do 720P but that it is extremely soft and that the projector really prefers 1066X600P.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I don't feel that's to much money for a retubed 1272, considering new tubes are around $1800 for all three.

Also Depends on the age of the original tubes. Projector could have low hours on it. Check it out carefully. Maybe the tubes had burn in at only 2000 hours?? Who knows. Find out when and why they were replaced.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Dylan,

That is a bit hight for a 1272. As shane pointed out there ore excellent 1272's for sale in the classified section for less money (I have some and CRT's are perfect, sorry couldn't resist).

But a 1500 hr D50 for $2.2K, that sound like a deal to me. I'd look it over very carefully.

Like Shane said some folks do run their 12xx series at 720p, and others prefer 600p as the picture can get a bit softer at 720p because you are starting to get overlap of the scanning lines. My personel experience is that 600p looks a bit sharper.

Good luck with your decision

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ouch! If you're in Australia, then go for the D50, that's not a bad price, and there probably aren't too many options there.

A lot of people talk about the 'sweet spot' for the 1272, D50 and other Sony 7" tubes is 600p. This is because this is the resolution of the 7" tubes themselves. You will also see references where people have been able to run the unit at 720p or higher, but this is only because the electronics will accept this higher res and try to cram it in a tube that was designed for 600p. That is the reason people claim that 720p and higher looks 'soft'. I haven't built my htpc yet, but I intend to run my 1271 at 1066x600 as mentioned above.

- Brian

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I like it!!! a compromise between the 600p camp and 720p follers. Yup the sweet spot has to be 666P lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the D50 has a bit of wear showing on it and is not as bright as it probably should be.

I know what I'm about to say is sacreligious but I'm thinking of tossing the whole CRT idea and going WD RPTV. Given that I will be mainly watching TV on whatever unit I buy and DVD's a whole lot less, I'm thinking that is the way to go. 56" RPTV gives me flexibility of using it as a TV, but also using it as a kind of high impact movie screen for dvds. The front pj would obviously excel at the latter, but lacks a lot of flexibility and userbility in the realm of general day to day tv watching, which would be my no.1 activity.

Anyone understand where I'm coming from?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting that you say the d50 isnt as bright as you thought it should be. I have a 1271, and was looking at a d50 with low hours (I posted about it here as well, asking for any opinions). Anyway, I decided against the swap, because the d50 showed more wear than the 71, and also because it didnt seem as bright, even tho it was rated another 150 lumens above (800 over 650).

I can understand your decision to go with a tv, if you watch a lot in the daylight. Personally I love my pj for the movies, and watching them at night, and you just cant beat that biiiig screen.

·
Registered
131 Posts
56" Rptv vs 100" Fpcrt ? Buy some heavy curtains Dylan.

I should disclose it's my D50 your talking about But even if you don't buy mine don't be put off to the projector option too easily because there is a big difference between the two, even for tv viewing.;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Doh! Yes, we are talking about the same d50. Just when I was starting to think all the d50s had this problem. :D

Hiya Specboy...(hows the subwoofers going?)...

And I agree with Specboy, fpcrt is just so much better than rptv. And I used to have a 105cm rptv. No contest.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thought I should post here. Isn't it a small world. :)

Yep it's Specboy's PJ. Just helping him out, not sure if he wants me to or not. :)

Definitely get a projector. How about running a smaller screen like 80" diag(4:3) or something. You will get a lot brighter and crisper image. Good to watch TV on and you won't see the benefit so much of using a line doubler or HTPC. So you can save the money. Then down the track you always have the option of setting up that same projector for a bigger image and/or setting up a line doubler/HTPC.

The best way to determine the conditon of the D50, is to come and check it out for yourself. We are all just enthusiasts and just want to help you get a great projector setup.

I think that's an expensive price for the 1272. Had a quick look around and haven't found any others for sale. I think you should be able to pick up a 12xx series PJ for about half the price of that 1272, maybe even less if you are lucky.

Anyway found out the D50 comes with the Sony mount as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.