AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While hanging around a home theater shop in my area, I couldn't help but notice that the AOTC demo they were showing on a rear projection system seemed "wider" than how I remembered this film on my home setup.

I have since started to doubt my low tech setup procedure for watching anamorphic DVDs on my system.

As a total newbie to projectors, I basically downloaded the manual for my 1272 on the day I bought it and started setting up. A couple of days later, I set my DVD player (first generation Panasonic) for 16x9 output and experimented by "squeezing" the horizontal RGB size adjustment on the projector until it screamed MAXIMUM or OVERFLOW (or something to that effect.

Not having a "videophile's" eye, I was extremely pleased with the picture I was able to attain - no scan lines! and the aspect ratios of films appeared to be correct.

I guess it was naive of me to believe that the optimal 16x9 ratio exactly corresponded with the maximum horizontal squeeze setting on my projector. I will get out the old tape measure this weekend and check out various titles' aspect ratios. I am expecting to find that my setup needs work.

I am worried however that to get the correct aspect ratio, I will have to adjust a parameter that is already maxed out -namely the horizontal RGB adjustment. I am also worried that the fix for this probably involves the setting of the original cross patterns of the three tubes. If so, how will this affect my watching of non anamorphic DVDs or my Star wars and Indiana Jones Laserdiscs?

Can someone point me to a site that explains in easy to understand terms, the proper procedure for setting up the 1272 to display anamorphic DVDs as though one was watching on a true 16x9 screen?

·
Registered
784 Posts
canuck,

You've got it correct. DVD player to 16:9. Vertical size (RGB size and/or Size in the convergence menu) adjusted to correct aspect ratio. The only thing you need is an Avia or Video Essentials setup DVD to adjust for correct anamorphic aspect ratio. I also recall that THX optimode disks might have a 16:9 test pattern on them.

What puzzles me is your references to horizontal size. That usually isn't a problem. For anamorphic dvd's you set horizontal size to fill the screen left to right, and end up reducing vertical size to "squeeze" the image vertically from 4:3 to anamorphic proportions.

Are you running out of horizontal size adjustment?

Have you tried the size adjustment in the serviceman setup menu, instead of or in addition to the RGB size adjustment? That should do the trick.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If your running out of width double check your left and right blanking. It could be that your blanking just needs adjusted.

Gerald

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think you need to set up for 4:3 aspect ratio; most laserdiscs are letterboxed--and that will do the adjustment for you. This is the only way you will not screw up your fun for regular laserdiscs that are not letterboxed.

One problem with the Sony 1272 is that you can't keep adjusting the height or width (I used to think I could change the height by squeezing the PJ pic right before I watched a specific movie--the problem is that that seemed to screw up all the converegence settings.) You need to find a setup that works for your stuff and try to keep it--of course, now now you need to worry about burn in...)

I had a similar problem with my HDTV cable box; turned out the box was adding some bars to the side and I was maxed out. Had to accept that I needed to live with a different setup. You can get it to work, but you might not be able to use 16:9 setup and 4:3 the way you want.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.