AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which screen will work best.brand gain etc.room is 15x20 no light 120 inch diag.screen or is this to big for a 1272.thanx.

·
Registered
784 Posts
There are several factors to consider when selecting a screen size.

1.) Brightness.

Most folks don't go over 52" x 92" , or 106" Diagonal with a 1272 projector. Then there are those who say that anything over 80" wide is pushing it. 92" wide or smaller, you can use a 1.3 gain screen. Over 92" wide, you'll need a screen with a gain of over 2.0.

2.) Distance from the screen, scan lines, and perceived sharpness.

If you use the projector with a line doubler, like the iScan, you'll see scan lines from 15' away on a 92" wide screen. With a better processor, you can eliminate the scan lines and sit closer to the screen.

So, based on your room size, (assuming your going to have two rows of seating), and your projector, you may want to consider screens in the 80" to 92" wide size range.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Using a 120 inch diagonal screen with the iScan you will most likely to definitely have scan lines with gaps between those lines. Depending on where you are sitting you may or may not see them. For that screen size I would step up to a scalar to fill in the gaps so that the phosphor useage is more efficient. It can make a difference (like between night and day) between the iScan and a scalar as far as light output and you can bring down the contrast and brightness with a scalar, i.e. less wear on your CRT's. With the iScan I would agree with Tom's reply, 92 inches wide or smaller would be best, more like 72 inches wide. Then again it depends on your seating distance too. It's like a compromise. The larger the picture you have less resolution and video quality. A smaller picture you have better resolution and video quality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.