AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my sony 1272 since the start of the year. Whilst being moderately happy, lately I've found the sharpness to be just getting worse. The question is tho, what is an acceptable level of sharpness. In the sony manual it says that when viewing the H pattern, that I should see the individual dots, but all i see is the H (blurred).. My screen size is roughly 100 inches, so my spacers should be set to medium. I have removed the blue lens and found that the plastic piece is set to Medium.. as far as I can work out, the spacer is behind the silver metal part which then attaches the lenses to it. How can you tell at a glance if the spacer is a S,M or L?

I've played around with the G1 & G2 screws on the lenses, and also the electrical focus without any luck.

Any ideas on how to get it more focused?

While playing games and watching dvds is fine, view the windows desktop it becomes quite blurred. I feel i can get this better..

Thanks

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Vladdy,

You should be able to get the desktop so it is in focus. You need to set the magnets on the neck of each tube and redue the electric focus. I found the dots on the H's are very hard to get in focus. You can get this on the Green and red but not the blue.

Good luck.

Deron

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After playing with the brightness/contrast and electric focus, I have found that I can get dots in the H's.. but, you have to stand right next to teh screen and look in close and see the individual dots.. i just assumed that these would be more pronounced. My windows desktop is in focus, but its just not sharp.. and rather blurred..

Having looked further, my crt and lense spaces are all M's.. which is good.

Doesn't adjusting the magnets need a qualified tech? not sure if I wanna go poking around with those magnets..

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would suggest you download the service manual and read about the tweaking you can do with the 2 and 4 pole magnets. Once you are familar with how to make the adjustments, you can check to see if you if the astigmation is o.k. You do not have to put your hands under the hood to check astig.

If it looks like your 2 or 4 pole needs some adjustment, then use a flashlight to guide your hand to each magnet set, and keep one hand in our pocket. There are lethal voltages near your hand, so be careful.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've grabbed the service manual and found out how to change the 2/4 pole magnets. Is there any quick and easy way to check the astigmation?

When I look on the CRT screens, I can see the H pattern, the dots are there, but very very faintly defined.. I'm assuming that modification to the 2/4 pole magnets can make this H pattern more clearly definited. How can you check whether the focus is out?

Is it possible to move the 2/4 pole while the power is off, repower it back up and then check how the focus is?

I really don't want to go poking around near some lethal voltages when I'm not really sure what I can and can't touch.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 1271 and have the same symtoms as you... my philosophy is that the DVD's look good so the fact the destop is slightly blurry does not bother me... the bluriness of the desktop also depends on the resolution you are using.

I have read a lot here on the forum about this issue, one thing i read is that the system can still hold quite a charge for a little while AFTER the machine is turned off.

I'm not that brave so i didn't bother mucking around in there...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DVDs and computer games look fine on it. I just think tho that after paying $4800 for a pj that going a little bit further can render a crisp and clear windows desktop. 800x600 isn't bad, but its very soft and not focused well, anything above that is getting on the blurry side.

I'm thinking i might go take it to a tech to have a look at it..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here is a clip from the infamous "Yikes, Holy Focus Guy Kuo" thread:

--------------------

Check Beam Astigmation

Display a dot pattern on the projector. Work with only one gun on at a time and set contrast to moderately high level. Binoculars are once more useful in observing the effects of your adjustments. As you vary the focus pot setting, notice how the dots change between the overfocused and underfocused directions of focus adjustment.

The overfocused state changes the dots into a central bright core with a halo around it. Ideally the bright central core is exactly centered in the halo. Also the dots should move very little as focus is adjusted between over and underfocused states.

The underfocused state changes the dots into a uniformly lit blob. Ideally the blob is perfectly circular in shape at screen center. It is normal for some deformation to be present at screen periphery.

If you find the bright core off center, the blob isn't circular at screen center, or the dots move as you adjust focus, astigmation for that gun needs to be corrected. That is done using the CPC astigmation magnets on the neck of each gun. CPC magnet adjustments should only be handled by a technician or very advanced user. Great caution is required due to risk of electrical shock, death, and equipment damage. Novices should enlist the aid of a technician if astigmation problems are noted on an electrostatically focused machine. On electromagnetically focused machines, there are often safe user accessible astigmation controls, suitable for the non-technician.

-----------------

I suggest you read the whole thread. You cannot perform this adjustment while the projector is off. But as you can see, you can easily check beam focus on your own. Then call a tech only if an adjustment is needed.

·
Registered
852 Posts
go here http://www.mooneyass.com/Sony1270Q/index.html and download mooneyass' setup guide for 12xx projectors. He has a very detailed mod to get better focus using nuts and bolts than the stock lens rings that come with the projector. I did it to my projector a few weeks back and I am very happy with the results (perfect focus across the entire screen). I also found with better focus it is much easier to do the astig adjustments.

·
Registered
48 Posts
vladdy

you said you downloaded the service manual, that involved the 2/4 pole

magnet adjustments.

could you provide the address for the service manual.

mike.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Vladdy,

Have you checked the rear of the lenses for any dust build up, this can soften the image and is common problem in 125x and 127x pj's. Have a peek in the lens with the contrast down and look for a film of grime. Also look at the face of the crt as well, you will have to remove the lenses to be sure though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.