AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

12800 x 1024 LCD screen (not misprint)

889 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  rogo 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I am thinking seriously about the top-end model. It's a steal at $155,799. I'd be in debt for the rest of my days, but, hey, this TV might be worth it!

#4 ·
Hmm.

A few years ago I was reading about a technology that was supposed to eliminate the edges from LCD screens (they said it was going to be available 'soon')

The idea was by eliminating the edges you could build bigger and bigger screens by just tiling together small, cheap LCD panels. And all this without those annoying 'frames' like you see on these displays.

Plus they'd allow you to scale the costs of these screen so that a 40' monitor would only cost x4 what a 20' did. Essentially the cost would be more or less fixed at 'x pixels per penny."

And even better, if a pixel failed you'd just pull out the offending 3'x3' tile that failed.

Anyone know what happened to that technology?

#5 ·
lemur,

If you mean "seamless tiling" of LCD, it is available. Rainbow displays sells a 37.5" model.

the rainbow spectrum 3750.

HDTV models are coming (apparently)

As for cost, well the panel is pretty darn expensive 7495$

http://www.rainbowdisplays.com/

#6 ·
Sadly, Rainbow -- and others who have pursued this LCD grail -- have been unable to commercialize the technology for anything resembling a reasonably price. In theory it should cost a tiny amount of money for six, 15" panels if the "stitching" process was at all reasonable to do.

With LG/Philips, Samsung and NEC/Mitsubishi all pursuing gigantic LCDs, I doubt the seamless stuff has much if any future.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.