AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all of these new 1280x720 native projectors coming out, there's a new application that I wonder if anyone is doing. In the same 1280x720 area, you could display two NTSC images if overscan is eliminated. You could put two 640x480 images side-by-side with a little letterboxing on the top and/or bottom of the screen, which could easily be eliminated with masking.

This could be the ultimate Picture-in-picture, or more correctly "Picture beside picture" (C). This could be a potential marriage saver. Think of it, I could be watching a football game or playing the Dreamcast while the wife is catching up on the latest prime time soap-drama. All that would be needed are separate headphones.

It seems like a manufacturer could do this pretty easily, they wouldn't even need a scaler, just some sort of image "interposer" and the ability to choose two inputs at one time.

Is anyone doing this right now? Does it sound like a good feature? If any manufacturers out their like this idea, drop me a note and we'll discuss licensing fees. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

-phil

·
Registered
599 Posts
It's already offered on widescreen RPTV's. But only one audio feed, as far as I'm aware.

It's also not recommended to do this for very long, as it's bad for the crt's. Shouldn't be an issue for digital projectors, though.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I first proposed this on an even grander scale, and a TIVO-like device, to several folks in the early 90s. Everyone thought that I was crazed (well, maybe I am http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ). Another application (for me) is multiple sporting events on a single screen instead of what I do now which is multiple TVs. With a 16:9 field, one could also do three stacked screens and one large screen, all 4:3. There are a few threads in the HTPC forum where such ideas are discussed. Essentially only folks in the calibre of www.rgb.com are doing things in this arena and they are many thousands of dollars each. At some point I might put efforts toward this goal, but it is a costly adventure at this time.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Why would it be bad for CRTs? They just scan what is sent to them and have no ability to distinguish between images that are overlayed locally vs. those done at the source (e.g., look at CNN coverage lately).

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I think it may be bad for CRTs in the long term because you'll see the vertical seam burn-in down the middle of the screen.

I wonder if this can be done on an HTPC with 2 TV Tuners, or will there be an overlay display conflict?

Andy K.

------------------

"L T One-Fifty

Did your light guide the wisemen,

to baby Jesus?"

·
Registered
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kromkamp:
I think it may be bad for CRTs in the long term because you'll see the vertical seam burn-in down the middle of the screen.

I wonder if this can be done on an HTPC with 2 TV Tuners, or will there be an overlay display conflict?

Andy K.

The Dscaler folks are working on it as we speak...

------------------

Darren Rogers

God Bless America,

Land that I love.

Stand beside her, and guide her

Thru the night with a light from above.

From the mountains, to the prairies,

To the oceans, white with foam

God bless America, My home sweet home.

NEC VT540 & HTPC in my stealth theather

·
Registered
221 Posts
My Sony Wega 32" TV has this ability built-in...

As well as a central moving screen and a border of images from other channels.

drewman

·
Registered
564 Posts
I worked for Thomson CE (makers of RCA and Pro Scan TVs) in college back in 1991. At the time, they were showing a 16x9 screen with three 4x3 shows stacked vertically on the left side with one more big 4x3 show on the right. I suspect it was smoke and mirrors, but it was pretty cool.

--Burke

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think that some pj are offering already PIP facility (Infocus LP 630 at least). But people here do not seem very interested in looking at projectors based on their functionality and discuss much more on technological issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.