Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

does the resolution 1280x720 used in the newer DLP's mean that such projectors suck for computer applications, like games? It's the odd vertical resolution I'm thinking about. I don't think I'd want Quake or Unreal rescaled.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Why wouldn't Quake, Unreal or any other Windows application use the resolution of the Windows desktop (1280x720)? I've seen WinDVD and other SW DVD players do it. Wouldn't you like a widescreen view of the playing field?

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
That is not always the case unfortunately...

Many games will only run at 'standard' resolutions or will switch resolution without requesting to do so to a 'standard' 4:3 one...

As more laptops come out with wide XGA and other variations etc I expect this will change but time will tell... How the PJ will handle being fed a computer signal on the VGA line that is 4:3 will depend on firmware installed but if it makes any concession at all to the presentation crowd it would not be to hard to imagine that it would present 4:3 computer signal in the middle 4:3 panel.. How this would look scaled of course is again...

This is one reason why 4:3 panels (plus possible Panamorph) are still the direction I intend to take...

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
We all optimize our display for particular sources. I intend to optimize mine for widescreen DVD and HDTV images. Others may wish to go 4x3 for DSS or games. Different strokes.

-dave

[This message has been edited by DaViD Boulet (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
Registered
473 Posts
"This forum is making me exhausted. So much to consider. I don't even have a projector yet, and I've already upgraded it a couple of times!"

---------

that is so true, I am the same way. I guess its better to upgrade this way than to actually buy something and upgrade it!

I am waiting for a 1280X720 DLP that has a 6 element color wheel, and uses that new 12 degree tilt DMD that the guy talked about in the guest section a few months ago. I know itll be awhile.

I figure, in 2 years the projector of my dreams will be available at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Virtual upgrading. . . . . that's a great idea!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
You should see the quality of the the picture in my head

Better than a G90, at 13' wide!

------------------

John
My HT Picts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.