AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My 9pg+ is about to be replaced. And I've decieded to go with CRT this time also. Next time will be a digital, but for now price is too high.

So, I have found a nec xg 1101lc in very nice condition (9/8/9). And a sony 1292 also in good condition (9/9/7) including new blue tube. And an electrohome 9500lc (8/8/7, out from pictures to judge), with a 2.35:1 wear on the blue (see pic)...

I get the xglc+moome dvi+ lumagen hdp, or 1292+tube+lumagen hdp, or 9500lc+moome hdmi for about the same price... XG for slightly less. 9500 for slightly more.

What would be the best choice?

Would I need a VP with the 9500 or could I just connect a bluray player through moome hdmi and run [email protected]?

The XGLC would probably give a great result with some effort.

From my understanding, spare part availability is best for the 9500, well as ease of setup, fan noise and potential IQ is best. But it has more wear. Might be an issue if I'm not able to get my configuration witin the same 2.35:1 wear?

Of course buying the 9500lc give me more options for upgrading later. VP, new tubes, mods, ...

btw, I will be running 2.35 screen, 2.15m wide...

Hope you have tips or recommendations for me

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
9500LC , I may have better tubes for you, aslo As I am going to do a neck board mod to my current 9500LC to use a different type of tube, I plan to blend , i was originally going to use the one 9500LC as is with the original tubes but I think i should try to match my PJ as close as possible so that is going to get a re tube. The existing tubes are all 9's.

Also I may be able to get you a good deal on LUG's, much cheaper than VDC's current price.

Athanasios

·
Registered
235 Posts
Go with the Nec or Electrohome, skip the 1292. The Nec will have a similar interface as your pg did, so the learning curve will be less. If you work on the 9500lc it will probably give a better picture than the Nec though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've pretty much ruled out the 1292. Owner said he did notice some streaking on it with the AKB circuit on...

The xglc is tempting. It has low hours and nice tubes, and its actually pretty much less than the 9500lc. (about equal to 850$ less)

from what I've read the xglc looks great at [email protected] Or even 72hz...

Also, isnt the colors on the nec awsome?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
M9500LC...but that's just my preference!

...Future parts/service for the Sony will be hard to find/come by...Not to mention tube(s). (...For all Sony(s)! ...Specially the 1292!!!remember that the Sony tubes are not rebuild able and they are only available new from Sony. Not to mention exuberant prices ...basically old/shrinking supply...assuming they even have more of them!)

The NEC(s) are very nice/amazing machines and could/should produce a hell of a picture/color and etc... (NEC(s) have way too many adjustments....To get it right you will need an experienced/expert tech/enthusiast....but since you already had a PG maybe it will/should not be a problem!)

I have had Barco(s)/NEC(s)/Sony(s)/and Marquee(s) and still run (2) Marquees in my home theater ...and probably always will. (...Until they are no longer viable!)

Sure the G90 I just sold was nice. but it did not have the reliability that I have been getting/expecting from the marquee(s). (...maybe it was just mine...who knows!!!

With the Marquee (since it is still in production!) ...not to mention sheer numbers!) you will have no problem getting parts in the future and there are plenty of knowledgeable people doing all sort of mods/repairs for them, not to mention enthusiasts like Nashou...(Hello Nashou!)

By getting a nice 9 inch marquee you will be set for a long time! and the PQ is nothing short of amazing! (Keep in mind you will need a Moome HDMI type card, and a decent video Processor...or an HTPC, personally I use both! )

Trust me when I say that once you get/see a nicely set up CRT projector such as the M9500LC, you will prefer it over the digitals, (...at least for a few more years to come! assuming other technologies surpass the CRTs in every way and cost around/less than a CRT in the future!)

In another word more cost per technology versus PQ/Contrast/3 dimensionality to mention a few things!

...Hope this was helpful

Martin

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
keep in mind that with the Marquee Phosphor condition isn't the only thing to look for. Make sure the LC chambers aren't contaminated and even more importantly that the tube filaments are healthy and light output is normal. There is a potential glitch here with machines from 95 to 97, search for P14.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm /forum/post/15525210

keep in mind that with the Marquee Phosphor condition isn't the only thing to look for. Make sure the LC chambers aren't contaminated and even more importantly that the tube filaments are healthy and light output is normal. There is a potential glitch here with machines from 95 to 97, search for P14.

Yepp check out what Draganm said here, its one of the first hings you should do when you get a marquee is check the p14 connectors voltage out put, it should be 6.35, max 6.45, even that is risky.

Athanasios

·
Registered
2,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/15525879

Yepp check out what Draganm said here, its one of the first hings you should do when you get a marquee is check the p14 connectors voltage out put, it should be 6.35, max 6.45, even that is risky.

Athanasios

...all you need is a meter and location of the above mentioned pins.

Good luck

Martin

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone have a good explanation on where to find the pin to measure the p14 voltage? I tried to search but didnt find it.

I understand this is voltage to the filaments? Brightness/contrast/drive/gain settings shouldnt affect this voltage?

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Butler /forum/post/15540428

Its beneath the end of the rear red tube.

actually, it's the blue tube
I have been able to clip the spring loaded leads on and test it by just popping the top cover.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
that looks fine and the blue is only responsible for about 11% of total light output according to TSE( I think he mentioned this). i have a green like that and I dont notice it.

Athanasios

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
found a better 9500lc. Just a little more cash, but tubes supposedly 9/9/8.5 with a bigger raster wear. Fanmodded, black painted and with moome hdmi...

Looks like we have a winner. Almost twice the price for the xglc though, but I hope its worth it...

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamez /forum/post/15556102

found a better 9500lc. Just a little more cash, but tubes supposedly 9/9/8.5 with a bigger raster wear. Fanmodded, black painted and with moome hdmi...

Looks like we have a winner. Almost twice the price for the xglc though, but I hope its worth it...

Like i said in the PM Go for it!!!! jari is a well known CRT'r here.

athanasios

1 - 17 of 17 Posts