AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a brand new and very proud owner of 1292. Definitely a step up from PG. Even g/f is in love with it. Anyways, I did the setup and the picture is amazing. One problem though. I have a bright line on the top of the screen (PJ table mounted until the weekend). Blanking doesn't get rid of it and I had tried HTPC and DVD player with BNC and composite cables to try to see if it's the signal. Anything else I should try? I just don't want to burn in this line right into the tubes over time.

Thank you.

Chris.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Welcome to the 9" CRT world!

What you're seeing is perfectly normal (for Sony CRT's): that is the "AKB" line which is caused by the cathode balancing circuit. This compensates for tube aging and is, again, normal for Sony's.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the 9" is something else. ;-) I love it. I can't wait to hang it this weekend. Also, super easy to set up, after fighting with my NEC for the last few years.

So there is no way to get rid of it.....not a problem. But won't it make a mark in the tube over time?

Thanks

Chris.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Hi Chris..

I'm happy you like your new toy..

You can turn off the AKB and eliminate the line - I tried it but was unable to get the grayscale correct and have a good image so turned it back on..

Other 1292 owners were thrilled with the results after turning it off..

do a search and see what others have said about it..no harm in trying - just write down all your present settings first..

·
Registered
760 Posts
Actually on some 1292:s (mine for example) it's even easier to disable the AKB than it is on the one Graham displays on the DVD. I just need to put a jumper on a small card behind the tubes to disable it.

Bias will need to go up quite much after disabling and Gain also needs to be adjusted. Just do this while watching a test image containing swatches from black to white and You'll be allright.

None of the color balance (Color Temp settings in the pj) are close to being correct, so don't worry about messing stuff up. You can always go back to factory settings for the color temps if You decide to turn AKB back on.

The Lumagen scaler is a phenomenal complement if one decides to measure and correct the gray scale and gamma according to standards! I have that very combo and it rocks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John, the bright line doesn't really matter to me, I just didn't know if that's the way it was supposed to be or not. Anyways, I love the 1292 I got from you and thanks again for the unistrats!

Chris.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.