AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a Sony vph1292q in the local ads for $500CDN including 2nd wireless remote - I offered $350 over the phone and he said I could have it for $400. He was not sure of the hours, did not know if any burn existed or anything else about the unit - he said he had it for 3 years and it worked great but now he has moved and has no room for it.

I currently have a NEC XG75 which I really think looks awesome. But knowing that the 1292 is the mothership, I thought for $400 I'd get it if it worked.

So I drove 45 minutes to find it outside in his covered carport. We had a very cold winter this year with temperatures at times -10 (below freezing) and this unit was basically out in this weather. The case appeared rough (various scratches, some missing screws, faded and worn plastic). My little flashlight couldn't see into the tubes to see if burn existed. So we went to plug it in so I could see the hours, and it instantly shutdown with error 01 (or maybe 10 since I don't know if I was looking at it upside down).

Not sure what 01 (or 10) error codes means on these projectors, but I knew any repair would likely be in the $100 to $300 range. Also since I now could not verify the hours, I offered the guy $100 and he said no.

Should I have offered more for this broken and rough unit? Can someone tell me what 01 error is and whether it is an easy fix? I know even a dead fan could cause these to shutdown, so maybe the fix is easy???

Lastly, this thing is extremely big and heavy (I though my NEC was before seeing this thing). Is it really worth the effort to get this thing hung on my wall, versus just keeping my NEC - will I really see that much of an improvement. I know there will be some, but can someone give me a percentage increase that I could expect (ie. 10% increase over NEC, 50%, etc)?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Buy it take out the Focus yokes and sell them, for the price of what you bought the PJ, Call them Frankenyokes(used in the Marquee) on Videogon and they will sell in a matter of days.

Then sell the tubes in auction as the colored C-elements are worth more than the tubes since 3M does not make colored C-elements any longer.

then find out what types of lens it has,if HD10F's you have about another 300 there.

That set has parts that other PJ can use. its much louder than your NEC.

And even if you get it running the 1292 was known for a streaking issue.

just me 2c worth.

Athanasios

·
Registered
235 Posts
Maybe worth it for parts, not to use. There are many crts better than the 1292.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Dna_alexoov

I also agree that the parts will sell in no time, specially the yokes/tubes/bellows and the lenses, assuming they are the good ones.

I have been looking for the yokes myself! so I ask that if you are not gonna get it, pm me your info so that we can work something out so that I can get them...I m sure there are others here that heed parts for it also.

Good luck

Martin

·
Registered
613 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
For $400 I would go for it. If you get it working and the tubes are good... great.

If not you can still sell the lenses, colored c-elements (if not burned) and the yokes and more than cover the cost.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The guy left me a message saying that someone across the border (in Washington) wanted it and offered him $600US plus the guy will pay shipping. He said though since he already offered it to me for $400 he would still honour it.

Yah right - it was only listed for $550CDN (which is like $450ish US) in the ad, so why would someone offer higher. I think this guy is trying to pull a sale pitch on me.

I basically replied telling him that his original offer was $400 for a WORKING unit, and if he really wanted to keep his word, that he would now adjust the price based on the cost to fix it - I told him a typical fix would be $100 parts and $100 labour, so told him that if he wanted to keep his word that he would sell for $200.

Anyway, I doubt he'll bite, but I'm sure not going to bite to his cheap selling tactic even if $400 is a good deal. Perhaps I would if the unit was worth replacing my NEX XG over, but replies I've heard so far is that the 1292 is not that good, has streaks, is loud as ****, etc. So just to make a few hun is not worth my time and gas to pick it up again, take it apart, deal with ebay, etc, etc.

But for $200, yes it will be worth it. I guess I'll see. He'll either reply again trying to continue selling to me (thus proving his "other" buyer is bull) or he will not reply and maybe this other offer is valid.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'd be careful about thinking you could sell the tubes. I've had two sets of 1292 tubes for sale complete with hardware and C-Elements minus the focus coils for a month now at a really cheap price. I haven't even had a nibble and both sets only have minimal wear on the blue.

Doc

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna_alexoov /forum/post/15548060

Found a Sony vph1292q in the local ads for $500CDN including 2nd wireless remote - I offered $350 over the phone and he said I could have it for $400. He was not sure of the hours, did not know if any burn existed or anything else about the unit - he said he had it for 3 years and it worked great but now he has moved and has no room for it.

I currently have a NEC XG75 which I really think looks awesome. But knowing that the 1292 is the mothership, I thought for $400 I'd get it if it worked.

So I drove 45 minutes to find it outside in his covered carport. We had a very cold winter this year with temperatures at times -10 (below freezing) and this unit was basically out in this weather. The case appeared rough (various scratches, some missing screws, faded and worn plastic). My little flashlight couldn't see into the tubes to see if burn existed. So we went to plug it in so I could see the hours, and it instantly shutdown with error 01 (or maybe 10 since I don't know if I was looking at it upside down).

Not sure what 01 (or 10) error codes means on these projectors, but I knew any repair would likely be in the $100 to $300 range. Also since I now could not verify the hours, I offered the guy $100 and he said no.

Should I have offered more for this broken and rough unit? Can someone tell me what 01 error is and whether it is an easy fix? I know even a dead fan could cause these to shutdown, so maybe the fix is easy???

Lastly, this thing is extremely big and heavy (I though my NEC was before seeing this thing). Is it really worth the effort to get this thing hung on my wall, versus just keeping my NEC - will I really see that much of an improvement. I know there will be some, but can someone give me a percentage increase that I could expect (ie. 10% increase over NEC, 50%, etc)?

Thanks

Isn't there a chance you blew it up by plugging it in cold?

My understanding was that you should bring something like that inside and let it warm up gradually before powering it up.

·
Registered
893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_avguy /forum/post/15564716

Isn't there a chance you blew it up by plugging it in cold?

My understanding was that you should bring something like that inside and let it warm up gradually before powering it up.

I sure would not have even tried turning it on with the low temp the unit must be at.

craigr

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perhaps so. I did notice a spark on the plug when I first plugged it into the outlet, and the unit was off at the time (though I have seen many tv and electrical devices give a spark when first plugged in, so I didn't think anything of it).

But the guy knew nothing of the prj (ie. hours, tube condition, etc) and didn't want me inside his small rented pad. I though wasn't going to buy this without confirming it worked, had a decent picture on the service menu and see the hours in the service menu. So yes, I suggested we then at least slide it (on a carpet he had it on) and point it at the side of the carport (would anyone here have bought it without doing the same???).

Personally I think the guy was an idiot for leaving this out in the cold for the last few months, as condensation alone could damage the electronics without even factoring the cold. He obviously had little value for it by leaving it outside where other renters in the house or strangers could have easily taken it (well not that easily at 400 pounds, but you know what I mean). Makes me wonder if he really had it for 3 years, as anyone that spent the kind of money these are worth (especially 3 years ago when CRT still held value) would know something about it and definately treat it a little better (maybe it was stolen or he got it for cheap at some auction or corporate liquidation).

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I would make an offer now for 50 bucks, get it and part out the lens and the focus coils and you'll make some money, more than you think. use that money for a nicer PJ.

And if you have good mechanical skills remove the C-elements that are colored and sell them also, 50 busks each. If i lived near there id get it myself.

Athanasios

1 - 12 of 12 Posts