Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I currently have a NEC xg110. I am moving to a new house with a larger dedicated media room. Could I shoot a larger brighter picture with a G70? Should I consider using a 1292? I am having the room built and will install a hush box for either of the units.

I am very happy with the xg110 in my current room shooting on a 72" 4:3 screen. I will probably convert to a 16:9 screen in the new house.

Thanks

Justin

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
You should be good with the NEC up to 100" wide if you have total light control. IMO the only thing better than the one you have would be a Sony G90 or Marquee 9500LC. But that my opinion.

Mike

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I would second that. Picture quality improvements, if any, would be at the margins. Perhaps slightly more brightness, admittedly, and the 1292 may (I emphasize "may") be a tad sharper. But perhaps not quite as good color fidelity in exchange. All in all, a lateral move. The NEC's hard to beat in terms of the picture.

The Sony' are a bit easier to set up and usually highly reliable if those are considerations. You'll need that hush box (and a vent) for the 1292, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
At the current time, I have exactly theese 3 projectors in my HT. The XG is a LC unit. In terms of picture quality I prefer the XG, but all 3 are very good performers. The G70 is very good when it comes to ease of setup and has extremely good linearity and geometry. I favor the colors of the XG - the XG's colors seems deeper and in particular the reds are to die for in the XG.

The G70 is extremely reliable when it comes to operation, and when properly installed it holds the convergence very well, and even a little better than the XG.

As you are familiar with the XG, I wouldn't say that it is any gain in switching to a G70. I do not think that the G70 can be driven with significant more light-output than the XG either.

A 1292 is in two departments a step-down from the XG and G70 - noise and black-level. The 1292 exhibts poor stability with shifts in picture with low ABL, and you can add the streaking problem that many reports with this unit. But with high-resolution HD-material - a good condition 1292 would probaly produce more detail than both the XG and the G70.

Per Johnny Ødegaard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.