AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

Odd situation, here we go.

I have a pair of Polk RTi8 Tower Speakers powered by a rebadged Sherwood RD-8601 ( 100w x 6 channels). http://www.sherwoodusa.com/ The speakers are 3 months old, receiver, 3 years.

Yesterday a friend came over with an iphone app called "Hand Grenade". Essentially this app emits a 12khz frequency, that's it. The app says you can hook it up to your speakers to drive people away from a party. We thought it'd be fun to try it out. After about 10 seconds, I adjusted the volume to 80% on the receiver's dial.

Once there, I heard this 'pop' and then the sound went flat. Not good. Music now sounds extremely muffled, lacking any high-end sound what so ever. So, have I blown the tweeters in the speakers? They have a 5-year warranty, and Polk mentions 'misuse' as one of this factors which would void the warranty.

In your opinion, does this count as abuse? I've heard of others doing this without a problem. Should these speakers have been able to handle a 12khz tone, coming from a iphone @80% load from the receiver?

Thanks !

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
Call Polk and send the tweeter in for a replacement. You don't have to tell them you played some special app at 80% volume. Sh!t happens.

I guess you won't be doing that again. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tweeter is gone. A 12kHz sine wave at the amplitude you described probably caused the tweeter to exceed it's thermal limit. Pure sine waves + high amplitude = bad news for speakers. You're pushing the thermal and mechanical limits of your speaker components. I recommend sticking with dynamic (music/movie) content.

I'd qualify it as misuse, even though I understand it was done in error. Sorry. Shouldn't be too much to get repaired.

Yubbie

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Just because a speaker has frequency response up to say 24khz, does not mean that it can maintain even 19khz for longer then few seconds. The frequency response measurements are peak dynamic listening as said(eluded to?) above.

And yes, you killed your tweeters. Just call the company and say you were watching a movie when you hear the POP and then after wards everything sounded muffled and without clear highs. They should warranty replace it.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline /forum/post/16935795

Just because a speaker has frequency response up to say 24khz, does not mean that it can maintain even 19khz for longer then few seconds. The frequency response measurements are peak dynamic listening as said(eluded to?) above.

And yes, you killed your tweeters. Just call the company and say you were watching a movie when you hear the POP and then after wards everything sounded muffled and without clear highs. They should warranty replace it.

Sorry.... but the OP exceeded the design paramaters of his speakers by playing around ("We thought it'd be fun to try it out") and basically abusing them. How is that the manufacturer's responsibility to cover that under warranty? It's not. I would man up, tell them what I had done ask what kind of deal they could give me on the replacement tweeters and go from there. If they offered them up free of charge after being honest, fine. But to lie about it just isn't right IMHO. Sure, "everybody does it," but that still doesn't make it the right thing to do.

IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, just my $0.02 and all that of course.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls /forum/post/16936004

Sorry.... but the OP exceeded the design paramaters of his speakers by playing around ("We thought it'd be fun to try it out") and basically abusing them. How is that the manufacturer's responsibility to cover that under warranty? It's not. I would man up, tell them what I had done ask what kind of deal they could give me on the replacement tweeters and go from there. If they offered them up free of charge after being honest, fine. But to lie about it just isn't right IMHO. Sure, "everybody does it," but that still doesn't make it the right thing to do.

IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, just my $0.02 and all that of course.

Sorry OP, but I do have to agree that you should tell the truth. Besides, the tweeters might be cheap then a hundred for a full pair, if you're lucky

Hell they may even give you an honestly discount as this guy said.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts