AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am building a mini-itx htpc. My chassis came with an onboard DC-DC board rated at 120w, but the power brick that came with it was only 60w (12v 5a). So I need to find a more powerful brick. I finally sourced one by the name of Leick (12v 10a) and ordered it. Then suddenly noticed in the product photo that the mains lead has only two wires, in other words it is ungrounded. Will this be a problem for an HTPC? Or will the 12v DC maximum voltage not be a problem?

I'm hoping for some answers pronto, so that I can cancel my order before they ship. Will be very appreciative.

Regards,

Fuzz

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
In my opinion you shouldn't have a problem, think of it like a laptop power supply. You will not find a separate ground conductor on the DC side of most 'brick' supplied devices.

It is nice if there is a ground on the AC side of the adaptor, but that is not even always the case.

Food for thought, 60W could be possibly be enough for your needs, 120w for the DC/DC converter is a max rating, but if your unit only needs 50w to run then the 60w supply would work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

I thought 60w could be enough, but it wasn't. I couldn't get two different motherboards and two different g620's to post. Seeing as this is the only other variable, I am trying the higher rated brick.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/20808165

Don't worry. Look at 99% of AC/DC transformers used for electronics and they only have two prongs. IMO, power bricks with 3 prongs are a pain.

-Suntan

We have three Sony Vaios of about the same vintage. Three different 19v power supplies. Two are 2 prong, one is 3 prong. No apparent reason why. All three are interchangeable with the three laptops.

Interesting that the 3 prong is on the smallest brick, that came with the smallest lightest and by far most expensive Z Series laptop. Totally backwards. If there's one that you DON'T want a three prong plug on, it's the one you use to travel. I really don't care if the big heavy 17.5 inch laptop I use around the house has a three prong plug, but that one, of course, has a two prong, as does my wife's basic 15" model.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.