AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm having a fit trying to get the 12V trigger to work how I need it to on a Sherwood A-965. I have bought a 12V wall wart so to speak. I used a stereo plug as they recommended but the stange part is that when 12V is applied the unit shuts off. It seems backwards to me. I would assume that 12V at the jack would make it stay on. IE when I turn on my receiver and the switched outlet gets power and supplies the 12V that would be the signal to be on not off. I've tried both polarities with no difference in the response. Does anyone have a P-965 that can tell me if the 12V is removed when the unit is on and then applied when the unit is off. If that is the case, it sure is a screwed up setup. Thanks for any information you can provide. Also, if any of you smart guys can come up with a simple work around I would appreciate it. I was thinking if I could get a normally closed relay allowing 12V to flow from the unswitched outlet on the receiver with the wall wart through the closed contacts on the relay to the amp and plug the switched outlet to the coil to disconnect 12V when the receiver is turned on. Will it work? Any idea where I can get the parts to make it work? Thank all in advance for whatever help you can provide.

Don

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
Don,

The only thing that seems unusual in your setup is the stereo plug. Most 12V triggers are mono plugs. I haven't used an A-965 in a while buy I don't recall using a stereo plug.

Bob

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The little information that they provide in their manual says that the 12V trigger should use the supplied stereo wire when hooking up from the P-965 to the A-965. I would assume that that means the stereo plug is the correct one to use for this application. I figured out how I'm going to make it work. I'll be using two wall warts feeding 12V to a relay. The unswitched one will feed through the relay normally closed contacts and the switched outlet will provide power to the relay coil to open the 12V supply to the Amp when the receiver is turned on. Hope it all works. I'm just waiting for the parts to arrive. Thanks for the help.

Don

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
The manual is wrong, you need a MONO plug.

I have the Boston Acoustics A7200( I also have the AVP7- same as the P-965), which is the same as the SN A-965.

I use a Mono plug, and have never had an issue with the trigger.

I now use a Denon 988 AVR as a pre-pro with the A7200....I use the same plug.

Definitely Mono.

·
Registered
418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz /forum/post/14341293

The manual is wrong, you need a MONO plug.

I have the Boston Acoustics A7200( I also have the AVP7- same as the P-965), which is the same as the SN A-965.

I use a Mono plug, and have never had an issue with the trigger.

I now use a Denon 988 AVR as a pre-pro with the A7200....I use the same plug.

Definitely Mono.

Muzz,

I have the same combo (Denon AVR-988 pre-processor with BA A7200). What is your opinion of the combo? I was thinking about replacing the combo with Onkyo 805. The Onkyo receiver is really cheap on Amazon.com right now.. Also this receiver is 130watts per channel.. Feedback please

1 - 5 of 5 Posts