AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My listening area is in my living room. I have a wall mounted rack for the receiver and other components. The shelves are glass and will not hold the emotiva upa-7 that I am purchasing in the near future. I was going to set the amp up in the basement and run cables from the receiver down into the basement to it. I was going to use the 12v trigger but the onkyo 705 that I have only uses the 12v trigger for zone 2. So my question is, is there another way to get it to power on when the receiver comes on? I know the 705 has a switched outlet on the back and I have seen something called a wall-wart mentioned. What exactly is a wall-wart, which would I need to buy and would it work for this situation? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Most of the wall warts I've seen come with a variety of adaptable plugs and voltages. Simply choose the plug that fits into you amp and set the voltage to 12v. Then plug the wart into the switched outlet on your 705. You can pick one of these up for under $15.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok just a follow up question....I went onto radioshack's website and found some of the wall-warts. The ends that come with them seem to have hollow ends as oppossed to the solid end of a 3.5mm cable that I was going to use. Will this type of hollow end work with the amp?

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ougrad02 /forum/post/14296448

Ok just a follow up question....I went onto radioshack's website and found some of the wall-warts. The ends that come with them seem to have hollow ends as oppossed to the solid end of a 3.5mm cable that I was going to use. Will this type of hollow end work with the amp?

most universal type wall warts have multiple ends, they usually include the NEEDED solid 3.5mm end cable, make sure you set polarity correctly along with the voltage

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excuse my ignorance but after looking at various wall warts I'm not sure which I should get based on the different ratings. Some are 1000ma, some 1500ma, and on up. As far as using this for my purpose what should I be looking for.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The 12V trigger circuits are low current (usually about 100 ma) so get one with the smaller rating. I use this approach with an old Marantz Preamp to drive the 12 V trigger in on a furman power conditioner and had a bit of an odd problem. when I turned the system off the triggered ourputs of the Furman would cycle on and off. I figured out that the switched outlet on the Marantz would supply enough voltage to partilly power the wall wart when it was off. I susspect this is inductive coupling from the power wiring in the preamp. I fixed this by adding an additional load to the Marantz switched outlet to get it to turn off completely

·
Registered
554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo /forum/post/14296559

most universal type wall warts have multiple ends, they usually include the NEEDED solid 3.5mm end cable, make sure you set polarity correctly along with the voltage

If you are connecting the wall wart from the switched outlet on your receiver to the Trigger In on your device - what is the correct polarity?

Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ougrad02 /forum/post/14296448

What makes you think you need 3.5mm?

This past week I walked into my local Radioshack store and bought a 6' mono/mono 1/8" cable which has worked fine as my prepro to amp trigger cable. Cost ~$5. Labeled Audio Cable.

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts