AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

First off, I would just like to say I really enjoy this forum and everyone taking the time to post their builds and share their knowledge. This will be my first "build thread" but have spent a lot of time reading and learning from this site. Thanks!

This will only be my second DIY Sub build, and I hope to get some information on sound measuring from some of you guys, as that is my next step. The original goal is to build a second one of these and have a pair. However right now the wife is still warming up to this one. (I think if one more photo falls off the wall and breaks, I may be looking into a new hobby)...

BIG thank you to my little brother Danny. The speaker was a gift from him. He gave it to me right before he moved and said "You better build this thing"... Well here it is bro. Thank you!

Box: I used Google Sketch Up and Win ISD, along with the volume calculator on 'the12volt.com' to design the box. I wanted it finished to match my speakers which are all Polk Audio "Cherry".

System:

Receiver: Pioneer SC-77

Amps: Emotive XPA-2 Gen 2 (for mains)

Crown XLS-2000 (sub/s)

Mains: RTI-A9

Center: CSI-A6

Surrounds: RTI-A3

Surround Backs: RTI-A3

Heights: RTI-A1

Specs:

7CUFT

Port tuned to 19hz

2 - 6" ports

Ill include screen shots bellow as those helped me a lot when I first started this.

http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/401210/width/500/height/700[/IMG ]

I then used the12volt.com volume calculator:

Finally Sketch Up was great to use once I got the basics. I used it to make a cut list as well.

On to the build. I used 3 - 4' x 8' sheets of MDF.

I used 6" PVC pipe for the ports. I had to go to my local plumbing supply to get it. Funny thing is that it only comes in 20' sections there. I used almost half. The gentleman at the store thought I was B.S.ing him when he asked what it was for.

Now cutting can be a pain in the...So what I found helpful was to measure and mark every inch or so around the pipe. Then use painters tape to connect all the marks until you have a nice "Guide Line". Then gently go around with a hand saw until you have a nice ridge all the way around for the blade to sit in. Gave me a nice cut.

Test fitting things out.

I used 90 degree rounded corner pieces to give it a clean look in the corners. Then sealed all the connecting areas.

Test fit the speaker. Things started to get Heavy!

I was very happy with the first listen. My wife on the other hand couldn't see past the raw MDF. My favorite line was, "why cant we get one of the small ones at Best Buy?"

So it was time to finish it off. I wanted to sink the driver in a bit and try to get that cherry wood finish like my Polk speakers. I went with Band It Veneer from parts express. I used 3 rolls with a little left over. I was nervous about veneer as it was my first go round. In all, it is a great product and easy to use.

I used contact cement to adhere the veneer to the box. I used half inch dowel rods to allow me to line up the veneer prior to placement. Simply get it lined up and then remove one rod at a time while pressing the veneer down. I used a hard roller to make sure it was pressed down firmly. Then used the Band It trimmer on Parts Express to trim the edges.

Finally it needed some color. I must have tried at least 9 different stains. I settled with Rustolium "Traditional Cherry". I very lightly sanded before staining, however the veneer is so thin I was nervous. No issues though. I then finished with Minwax Polyurethane to give it a semi-gloss look.

The last item was the port ends. I found some 6" port tubes on Parts Express. I did have to lightly grind off a little bit of the O.D. of the port in order to get it to fit the PVC pipe.

And the final Resting Position.

Thanks for reading. I know from reading there are a lot of other routs I could have taken, however im very pleased with the results so far. I am currently waiting on my Mini DSP so im being careful. Not sure if the sheet rock in the house will handle the second one but I cant wait to start again. I would be very happy to give my input on anything you liked and had questions about. My work schedule is crazy for the next week but I will do my best to respond to any questions.

Happy Building, David

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow great build. I love seeing a project from start to finish to cherry veneer finish
. I'm sure the WAF improved greatly in the end. How does it sound? Did you have this in another box before hand?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

first time i spotted this thread.

all i have to say is WOW, WOW, WOW!  you are a hell of good craftsman / speaker builder.  What an awesome design and finish.

Congrats and enjoy the hell out of that beautiful sub!

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
Wow, that veneer looks great. Happy listening...

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Awesome work, build and design! Congrats..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSet  /t/1524472/12w7-ported-aves-12#post_24535015

Wow great build. I love seeing a project from start to finish to cherry veneer finish
. I'm sure the WAF improved greatly in the end. How does it sound? Did you have this in another box before hand?

Thank you very much guys. Yes, my wife is now saying "it actually looks very nice, can I put a lamp on top?" I said surrre... Although it is so heavy that there isn't much vibration. Sound is very good. Absolutely no port noise has been heard yet. Watched a little of WWZ today. Very clean and deep. You can feel your pants flutter while sitting on the couch. Music sound very good. Nice room filling bass that doesn't over power the mains. My intention was a good home theater sub, and so far I am pleased.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig  /t/1524472/12w7-ported-aves-12#post_24540737

Wow, MAN! Outstanding! The veneer job looks gorgeous. This gives me hope for the future of my raw MDF boxes!
Thank you! To tell you the truth I didn't expect it to come out as good as it did. 1 thing I learned is keep your razor blade sharp as possible. When you trim the veneer try to pre cut it with no more than 1" of excess over each edge. I found that any more than that, it tends to curl when you make the final trim and will leave a rough edge. And just take your time, and test your stains prior to finishing. It was a lot of fun.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
OP how does it sound? great job on build !!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts