AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once September comes and school starts again HT time...whoohoo.

Right now it's "temporarily" setup up in a 12x15 room in the basement. I plan on finishing the adjacent room (12x14) and turning it strictly into movie room.

Right now it's just studs and bare floors, perfect! I know it's not a perfect size but this is what I have to work with. I thought about leaving it in the 12x15 room but it's finished, not sound proofed, not properly wired and open to the rest of the basement.

The new room is 12x14 and will be totally self contained and enclosed.

So what I'll be working with is a 110" fixed screen, Runco CL420, Pioneer Elite receiver, BR etc and 7.1 speaker setup.

The pj can be mounted between 13'7" and 11'2" so I plan on mounting it on a shelf or enclosure on the rear wall. (I have the ceiling mount so would it be better on the ceiling or shelf?) Seating will be approx 11" from screen maybe a touch closer and a single row (type undecided yet.)

Gear I plan to place behind seating perhaps in a corner, want a short HDMI run to pj.

I'm going to run a dedicated 110v line for audio gear but not sure if it's a good idea to put pj on same circuit or not so I'll look into that. On an off topic, I have been using a Rotel RLC900 as a line conditioner for years, now the new ones have voltage readouts and the such, is it worth getting one of those or am I ok with what I have and also can I also plug the pj into it or does it need something else?

Anyway that's a quick general idea, I know I'm at the limits for throw, if anything it'll be too bright so bulb will be turned down from 250w to 200w, seating distance is borderline with 11' the bare minimum, we tried closer and didn't notice any side effects until about 8' from screen...

Not sure about a hush box either, don't really like the idea of them especially since the pj fires hot air out the front but with wattage turned down it hasn't been too bad.

So now I'm in the planning stages, where to run wire, hydro, perhaps separate venting around pj shelf or enclosure, lighing etc.

I'll check out the "what I should have done different" thread but if anyone has any other advice please feel free...

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
12x14 isn't pushing the limits. Its actually bigger than mine. Looking forward to your progress.

Victor

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
In a room that size, or any where the main listening position is against the rear wall, I'd consider bypassing 7.1 and sticking with 5.1. Poor placement of rear surrounds along with matrix decoding of 5.1 material to 7.1 can cause a muddied and distracting rear sound field. Sticking with 5.1 can also free up budget for better speakers or other items if need be.

Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, I think 7.1 would be a bit much. I have a 12x14 room and I use 5.1 with a 100 inch screen. I wouldn't mind stepping up to a 110" screen but I am more than happy with my 5.1 setup. I have 3 eD A6 6t6 mtm's up front and 2 A3 5tc's in back with a pa-120 sub all hooked up to a Pioneer elite VSX-03. Other than wanting a little more bass it gets VERY loud.

·
Registered
639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins /forum/post/16932869

In a room that size, or any where the main listening position is against the rear wall, I'd consider bypassing 7.1 and sticking with 5.1. Poor placement of rear surrounds along with matrix decoding of 5.1 material to 7.1 can cause a muddied and distracting rear sound field. Sticking with 5.1 can also free up budget for better speakers or other items if need be.

Good luck.

my theater is 14x17 and the rear seating is up against the wall. I used dipoles for the rear (and side) surrounds and have no issues with "muddled and distracting rear surround field". Get a good set of dipoles and calibrate your audio system and you will be fine.

of course, YMMV....

·
Registered
5,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv /forum/post/16940019

my theater is 14x17 and the rear seating is up against the wall. I used dipoles for the rear (and side) surrounds and have no issues with "muddled and distracting rear surround field". Get a good set of dipoles and calibrate your audio system and you will be fine.

of course, YMMV....

With surrounds over your head have a high likelihood of lobbing, and with dipoles on a rear wall you're probably going to have phase issues. What sounds good to you is subjective and preference, but it far less than optimal. I have in-wall bipoles mounted on a a pitched wall/ceiling about 2' behind my listening position... also not optimal, but a function of space constraints. You do the best you can with the space you have to work with, but it's good to know what is/isn't optimal and use that as a guide point. My two main gripes with 7.1 is when people try to shoe-horn it in rooms where the space just isn't there and, do a greater degree, what 7.1 matrix decoding of 5.1 material does to the rear surround field.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the old room the rear surrounds were almost directly above my head and had no issues.

As to phase and matrices, all movies play with no dolby PL and no matrices, I leave everything as pure as possible that is TrueHD or DTS-HD.

I use a Pioneer Elite VSX-01 which has the phase control too.

BTW my speakers are BIC America DV62CLR x3 for the fronts, BIC DV5 x3 for the rears and a Mirage 10" powered sub.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
With 7.1 TrueHD and DTS-MA you're not really susceptible to the matrix decoding issues I was describing... but are you applying any PLIIx, THX-EX, or other 5.1-to-7.1 decoding on 5.1 DD and DTS tracks (DVD, HDTV, etc)? This is where you have to watch your surround modes to make sure you're not inadvertantly applying these.

Also... were there no issues with your old room, or would you have known if there were? Did you have a point-of-reference for comparison? If not, there's no doubt you probably liked what you were hearing, but there's also no way of knowing if you would have heard a difference with a different placement. Auto-EQ/calibration can do a lot, but it can't change a speaker's dispersion pattern. That's what kills imaging with back-wall surrounds over back-wall seating... 7.1 matrix processing of 5.1 material just piles on top of that, regardless of the placement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts