AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 year old Samsung HLN507W rear projection 50" DLP HDTV has yet to show any issues. The picture looks great!

One question, though, is lamp life. I understand the expected useful lamp life is about 3,000 - 4,000 hours. I am at 14,000 and counting. We leave the TV on alot so there is minimal on/off.

Folks have said that you won't notice if the lamp is going dim since it is a gradual process -- and you won't notice the slight changes.

I picked up a new lamp just in case. My question is: Should I replace the bulb now or wait until I get warnings or a crappy picture? I like the idea of being proactive -- but if it isn't broke.......

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would just wait it out. Good idea to have a new bulb on hand just in case (like you do), but I wouldn't replace it until it starts having problems.

You would almost certainly get a brighter picture with the new bulb, but if the brightness isn't bothering you now, just hold out.

I purchased a 50" Samsung DLP a number of years ago and it's since moved on to my parents house. It's still on it's original bulb and going strong (over 10,000 hrs, last time I checked). I keep telling them to order a new bulb so they have one when this one bites the dust, but they haven't yet. I can't wait until it goes and then they find out it will be weeks until the new one arrives. I'm sure it will be my fault then...

Good luck with your continued bulb longevity.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.