AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My viewing room is 13 feet from stem to stern. Would that give the LT150 enough room to work? approximately how large would the image be?

Never owned a FP, but at $2000 I might give it a try.

------------------

--}{: --}{:

: --}{: --}{:

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
The LT150 has a relatively short throw lens with a projection ratio of .76. This means that at 13 feet you can get a screen size of 13*.76=9.88 feet (4X3 diagonal). This is almost 10 feet. (It is of course fixed-focal length.)

Does that meet your needs?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost certainly. Since I will be sitting roughly 11 feet from the wall, I'm assuming that would be even (gasp!) too large. Who knows, I guess I'll just have to buy one and find out.

I assume that the size is adjustable? I suppose I should mention that not only have I never owned FP, I've also never really spent any time with a FP tv. I do have a full fledged HTPC though, so I need a worthy display. Time to start reading archived posts.

------------------

·
Registered
221 Posts
The size of the projected picture is easily changed...

by moving the projector closer to the wall.

No zoom on this model - a reason why it's not the most expensive one on the block.

The new 150z is due out any moment and basically all it adds is a zoom lens (I saw it at InfoComm in Las Vegas).

So, if that size is too big, you'll have to mount it closer to the wall you are projecting on.

drewman

·
Registered
653 Posts
It's adjustable in that the farther the projector is from your screen, the larger the image. There is no built-in zoom for the LT150. I have mine on a cart with wheels so it's easy to adjust the size of the image. However, if you are limited as to where you can place the projector, you may have some problems. NEC's website has a diagram and table for computing how large the image will be at different distances.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I wasn't expecting that. I will definitely go to NEC and read up. What you're telling me makes it seem like you aren't ceiling mounting the projector. Does it matter? I was thiking of mouting a high shelf behind the couch and putting it there.

Thanks for helping a newcomer. I have to join the FP party sometime.

------------------

·
Registered
273 Posts
The little guy can by a bit noisy, but mounting above the couch is a decent idea otherwise. The only problem is, because of the projection angle, if you mount it high the projector will need to be inverted.

The easiest solution is to put a coffee table in front of your couch and either place the LT-150 on top or underneath. It's so small (it's foot print is about that of a standard piece of 8.5 x 11 paper) that it isn't a problem.

I fired mine up for the first time last night. I can honestly say I was stunned by the picture (so was my wife). It looked fine with the overhead light on in the room, but just phenomonal with the light out. Screen door is virtually non-existant. Because of a very temporary trial setup, I had the projector about 7 feet from the wall, which produced a pretty large picture. I sat about 7 feet back, too. I was playing Crazy Taxi through my Dreamcast w/ VGA adapter. The white section was on and I didn't see a single rainbow. The colors were vivid and jaw dropping. I didn't see screen door. The ease of use was fine for a newbie like me who'd never had a projector before - total setup time: 1 minute.

You'll get fine results in a 13x13 room. I'd put the projector about 10-11 feet back and go with the size picture that produced - it'll be plenty big enough and the quality will be nothing short of inspiring if you're milage is anything like mine. I can't believe I didn't call in sick to work today.

Far and away the best toy I've ever bought. It would be worth it at twice the price. If you like rear-projection TV's at $3,000 and 150 pounds, you'll love this thing for $2300 and and 3.3 pounds. I couldn't sing the praises loud enough.

Granted, I'm a newbie and haven't seen the wonders of high-quality CRT or DILA - but after seeing this thing in action, I won't be upgrading for a VERY long time (especially if they can build a longer lasting lamp).

Sorry for polluting the board with another Ode to the LT-150, but I had to get that off my chest (my wife has become tired of me walking in circles around the house with an irrepressible smile muttering "Oh my god")...

[This message has been edited by lmo (edited 08-06-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.