7,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one are you, and why?

13 Types of Audiophiles:
http://audio-head.com/13-types-of-audiophiles/
Quote:
By AudioHead– March 21, 2014

1. The Happy Commenter

One of the most uplifting and cherished groups of audiophiles, these guys can often be found milling around audio forums and comment sections telling people how great things are and how EVERYTHING sounds SO good!

2. The Tube Monster

Feels closest to god whilst basking under the warm and inviting glow of tube-state amplification. This audiophile’s favorite review adjectives are “liquid mids” and “organic”. Weekends with the tube enthusiast involve sorting through piles of Russian and Chinese glass searching for the ultimate in sonic purity.

3. The Super Hot Headphone Babe

This buxom beauty is alive and well in the deepest recesses of every 18-24 audiophile mind, but not anywhere else. If you happen to see one in the wild at an audio show, you can rest assured someone is paying her to stand there with faux enthusiasm.

4. The Spec Man

Loves to talk technicalities. Wouldn’t be caught dead pairing an 16 ohm headphone with anything less than a 1 ohm amp. The Spec man has an unusually high probability for engineering or computer programming forms of employment. This upstanding gentleman knows that true damping has nothing to do with the amount of forehead sweat wiped up by a handkerchief.

5. The Angry Objectivist

Believes that measurements alone should sit upon the iron throne and insists that every review should include a double-blind A/B or its credibility is null. He has a small shrine to “NwAvGuy” constructed in the corner of his listening room.

6. The Avid YouTuber

Prefers video reviews because reading is SO much work. Used to own Beats headphones before he found out that audiophile cans are really where it’s at.

7. The Formal Reviewer

Believes that his definition of good sound is the only acceptable one. Truly listens to music to hear his stereo instead of the other way around. This refined individual will often view audio within the confines of chasing an ultimate goal, rather than simply a love for music.

8. The Vinyl Junkie

Loves the groove because it makes it sound “lived in”. The words “needle” and “arm” conjure up images of a favorite pastime that doesn’t explicitly include drug use. The true vinyl addict is born with the arcane knowledge in how to set up a table and understands that album artwork is the truest form of visual stimuli and should be unrelentingly celebrated at every opportunity.

9. The Big-Spender-That-Needs-Reassurance

This guy just put up a third mortgage to finance a new pair of loudspeakers and he’s having second thoughts. After the third read-though of the latest positive product review he manages to get his heart rate down to a more reasonable level. A steady stream of constant reassurance from his favorite online forums confirms the fact he knew all along: he made the right decision.

10. The Negative Nancy

Abash and unforgiving, this saucy firecracker can be caught lurking almost anywhere online, hiding in plain site just waiting or the right moment to reach out and strike his prey. No component is perfect, and its is his sworn duty to counterpoint any influence that may prove otherwise. Likes to deflate enthusiasm with words like “muddled”, “congested” and “lifeless”.

11. The Inquisitive Reddit Reader

Can usually be found hanging out around /r/audiophile or /r/headphones mining for comment “gold”. This guy is always looking for a good deal and often wonders why audio products cost so much.

12. The Old School

Still hanging around from the days when a stereo was the only form of entertainment available. This audiophile LOVES vinyl and the way tubes sound even though his hearing is getting dodgier than a bottle of brown Chardonnay.

13. The Cheerleader

The overly positive fanboy of the audiophile world, the Cheerleader has passion for his brands and he’s not afraid to show it. He loves them and he wants you know it. He may attach himself to one or more products that simply can do no wrong. They are the best, around. And no one can ever get ‘em down.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
I'm the kind that doesn't answer stupid polls.

Reactions: audiofan1

·
Registered
258 Posts
"13. The Cheerleader

The overly positive fanboy of the audiophile world, the Cheerleader has passion for his brands and he’s not afraid to show it. He loves them and he wants you know it. He may attach himself to one or more products that simply can do no wrong. They are the best, around. And no one can ever get ‘em down."

Enjoyed the list. No 13 makes me think of the proud owners who offer advice to others, and can't help including a description of their equipment to make a point. You know the one with the high priced speaker emoticon and full spread of household electronics listed below the moniker who announce: "The proper way to setup a surround system is to use four subwoofers. For example, I have four 40 inch Rythmik drivers powered by 4,000 watt SVS amps in each corner to balance the exquisite video experience rendered by my Ultra HD 3D projector... All interfaced by Kimber interface, of course. Hope you enjoy your K-mart subwoofer. Remember, its the music that counts."

·
Registered
371 Posts
I actually don't give a **** about equipment anymore - I use what I have, an old set of well used Klipsch Heresies, hypex amp, a computer with over a TB of music in mostly flac, foobar for replay...

If the vinyl bug strikes - I have three TT's to use. and a couple of thousand records.

Sounds good to me, with lots of books as dampening on the back wall. I'd rather spend my money in fishing equipment.

I just get annoyed with all 13.

Call me the ex-audiophile grouch (or old fart)

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
None of the above. Stupid poll.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
An old audiophile sat down recently at a table for two, drinking a cup of coffee. As he sat sipping his coffee, a young woman sat down next to him.

She turned to the audiophileand asked, "Are you a real audiophile?" He replied, "Well, I've spent my whole life breaking-in cables, driving to audio shows to check ou the latest equipment, buying and selling speakers, trying audio tweaks, getting the best hi-Rez music, reading Steve Hoffman's forum, swapping different tubes for that best sound, and positioning my chair just right, so, yeah, I guess I am an audiophile."

She said, "Well I'm a lesbian. I spend my whole day thinking about naked women. As soon as I get up in the morning, I think about naked women. When I shower, I think about naked women. When I watch TV, I think about naked women. It seems everything makes me think of naked women".

The two sat sipping in silence.

A little while later, a man sat down on the other side of the old audiophile and asked, "Are you a real sudiophile?"m He replied, "I always thought I was, but I just found out I'm a lesbian."

Reactions: rick240

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
It's all about the music! As I sit here, listening to Radio Paradise on my computer, playing through an old Onkyo receiver, and a pair of Dayton B652 speakers I purchased on sale for $25, I really can not see how the music experience could be any better right now!

Sure, if I listened to a system with a sub, it would sound better, or better speakers, it would sound better, or lossless music source, it would sound better. But for me, right now, it is just perfect!

That to me is the definition of an "audiophile".

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I started a thread about my 11 year old Sony. Just like jdcrox says, I am totally happy with it. When I want lossless audio, on goes the Oppo.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus  /t/1523650/13-types-of-audiophiles#post_24513120

I'm the kind that doesn't answer stupid polls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason  /t/1523650/13-types-of-audiophiles#post_24514455

none of the above....and yeah stupid poll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308  /t/1523650/13-types-of-audiophiles#post_24514664

None of the above. Stupid poll.

I tried to edit the poll with answer 14 being for my fellow AVS'ers "I'm the kind that doesn't answer stupid polls", I can't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai  /t/1523650/13-types-of-audiophiles#post_24514666

An old audiophile sat down recently at a table for two, drinking a cup of coffee. As he sat sipping his coffee, a young woman sat down next to him.

She turned to the audiophileand asked, "Are you a real audiophile?" He replied, "Well, I've spent my whole life breaking-in cables, driving to audio shows to check ou the latest equipment, buying and selling speakers, trying audio tweaks, getting the best hi-Rez music, reading Steve Hoffman's forum, swapping different tubes for that best sound, and positioning my chair just right, so, yeah, I guess I am an audiophile."

She said, "Well I'm a lesbian. I spend my whole day thinking about naked women. As soon as I get up in the morning, I think about naked women. When I shower, I think about naked women. When I watch TV, I think about naked women. It seems everything makes me think of naked women".

The two sat sipping in silence.

A little while later, a man sat down on the other side of the old audiophile and asked, "Are you a real sudiophile?"m He replied, "I always thought I was, but I just found out I'm a lesbian."
Thx for posting, every so often I see that posted in the various "audiophiles" threads here and other forums.

I'm kinda like Scott, part fact based but also realize gotta let the OCD go at times and just have FUN....after all it's a hobby not world peace.

Fun banter here and there but some take it way too personal...Happy hump day to all..

·
Registered
408 Posts

Quote:
3. The Super Hot Headphone Babe

This buxom beauty is alive and well in the deepest recesses of every 18-24 audiophile mind, but not anywhere else.

I am 40, and not that much of an audiophile, really, but she is definitely in there. She managed to lose the headphones somewhere, though...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It was fun to read this thread! I didnt know what tubes were for before reading some of the comments then doing a quick search on google.

Now I know what they are for...have you ever seen the french movie "Le dîner de cons" ? it ia about some guys having fun at some other guys without the other guys knowing what is going on...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts