AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that I may have finally reached where I want to be. Going to buy a SPL meter tomorrow to check out what I am really pushing. I honestly think I broke the 130 db barrier, and if not, well, I think I can get there. Anyone else with insanely loud AV rigs?

·
Registered
540 Posts
How far are you from the speakers when you listen to this?

If not very far you are setting yourself up for a hearing aid in the future.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Agreed.

There is absolutely no reason in any home space at any reasonable listening distance to even need to approach 130db.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you have speakers that produce 100db with 1 watt, connected to a 1000watt amplifier, then it's likely you are reaching 130db on peaks at maximum levels.

Typical 90db-efficient speakers would require 10,000 watts to reach 130db at 1m.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
WOW I mix FOH for a show here in Vegas. I have Meyer MSL6 and MSL 4 pointing at me from 90 and 60 feet. I can easy it 104 A weight and its painful, so that only happens for a split second most of the show is around 94,but 130 no freakin way. There is no logical reason to even try that without some sort of hearing protection.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcfan
How far are you from the speakers when you listen to this?

If not very far you are setting yourself up for a hearing aid in the future.
It doesn't matter. 130 dB is 130 dB and you're talking jet engine loud.

I'm not sure how you can estimate that you're hitting 130 dB without a sound meter.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
It's too bad your whole family and friends will have to endure," What did he say" "I don't know I didn't hear what he said" " Can you repeat that I'm a little hard of hearing" ect,ect,ect........Good luck!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I'm not sure how you can estimate that you're hitting 130 dB without a sound meter.
Well, you can easliy estimate it like snickelfritz did knowing speaker efficiency and amplifier power. However, you would need a SPL meter to measure and verify that estimate. ;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Does the blood from your ears fly all the way back to the rear wall? 130dB, holy cow! Forget about the SPL meter just watch your neighbor's windows, when they blow you've got it.

MT

·
Registered
889 Posts
My SPL meter dont even go to 130db. Personally, I don't think this guy knows what 130db is, or what it would take to get there.

·
Registered
804 Posts
He is either kidding with us (pratical joke), or doesnt understand SPL. I would love to see the exact measurement of what this '130 db' is, we should start a bet, I got dibs on 92db.

·
Registered
889 Posts
His lack of replies, post count, and obvious naiveté tells the story IMO.

·
Registered
16,691 Posts
Maybe he just can't 'hear' when a e-mail arrives any more.................... ;)

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdaddy
His lack of replies, post count, and obvious naiveté tells the story IMO.

Exactly what I was thinking

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
I'm guessing he did hit 130dB, after which he gave up on this forum and joined a tintinnitus support group.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I remember commenting once about 118dbA being a bit much, and some twit tried trashing on me saying that he listens to that volume all the time. Is it me, do people not understand SPL, or are they all just that stupid that they would subject themselves to those sound levels on a daily basis?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.