AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Samsung LCD TV has a native res of 1360x768. I just got a Yamaha RX-V3800 AVR and connected my HTPC (DVI to HDMI) to one of the HDMI ports on the Yammy. The HTPC is equiped with a NVIDIA 8500GT card. However, I can't get native resolution, so picture quality is not good. Tried tweaking with Nvidia's configuration software but to no avail. Is there a way to fix this or, alternatively, will an ATI based card (3xxx) be able to display native resolution through the Yammy?

Thx

Marcie

·
Registered
1,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie /forum/post/14300264

My Samsung LCD TV has a native res of 1360x768. I just got a Yamaha RX-V3800 AVR and connected my HTPC (DVI to HDMI) to one of the HDMI ports on the Yammy. The HTPC is equiped with a NVIDIA 8500GT card. However, I can't get native resolution, so picture quality is not good. Tried tweaking with Nvidia's configuration software but to no avail. Is there a way to fix this or, alternatively, will an ATI based card (3xxx) be able to display native resolution through the Yammy?

Thx

Marcie

Could you select 1360x768 when directly connected to the display? If so, it's possible that your AVR won't pass 1360x768 as it's not a spec compliant HDTV resolution.

If not, then it's likely that 1360x768 isn't advertised in the EDID. If this is the case then vladd's suggestion of creating a custom timing may well help.

Wo0zy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I downloaded the new beta, but to no avail (a lot of crashing BTW). What happens is that I can actually display 1360x768 but not native, that is, only interlaced (Nvidia control panel does that automatically). When I enter the native res manually (with the correct timings) the TV says "Not supported", after which the PC hangs.

When the PC is directly connected to the Samsung TV there is no problem, so probably the Yamaha is at fault.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i have the 2700 and it passes 1360x768 from an ATI Radeon HD 2600XT perfectly... my guess is that it's the Nvidia drivers. have you tried creating a custom resolution using PowerStrip?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have a very different set of hardware, but also had a devil of a time getting my ATI graphics card to output 1360x768 through HDMI. Does your LCD TV have a PC (VGA) input? Can you get the desktop of the PC displayed properly on the screen of the TV? If you can, then you might want to try AnyDVD. It will let you play your DVD's (Even your BD's) through the VGA port on your HTPC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by erl /forum/post/14312616

i have the 2700 and it passes 1360x768 from an ATI Radeon HD 2600XT perfectly... my guess is that it's the Nvidia drivers. have you tried creating a custom resolution using PowerStrip?

The 2700's HDMI interface differs from the 3800 (HDMI 1.3A). From the thread about the 3800 HDMI interface & clipping issue, I have gathered that the 2700 is much more troublefree.

I am a bit hesitant to use Powerstrip as it corrupted the Samsung's firmware at an earlier 'experiment', but I will try some read-only stuff such as the EDID.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd /forum/post/14314510

I have a very different set of hardware, but also had a devil of a time getting my ATI graphics card to output 1360x768 through HDMI. Does your LCD TV have a PC (VGA) input? Can you get the desktop of the PC displayed properly on the screen of the TV? If you can, then you might want to try AnyDVD. It will let you play your DVD's (Even your BD's) through the VGA port on your HTPC.

The Samsung has VGA and it works perfectly as does the TV's HDMI/DVI input when I connect the PC directly to the TV. The problem only occurs when the PC is connected through the Yamaha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts