AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my PC hooked up to the Panasonic 50" 7UY with a DVI-to-HDMI cable. I'm trying to get the native resolution (1366x768) out of my NVidia 6600GT card but this resolution is not one of the options. If I go into "Advanced Timings" I can set this resolution but the display is somewhat garbled and shifted to the left. I have read in the HTPC forum about people getting the native resolution but they all seem to be using a straight DVI connection. Is this a limitation of the HDMI board? Has anyone been able to do this successfully or should I get a DVI board? I can do 720p or 1080i easily with this setup but I would like to avoid extra scaling. Thanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin
I have my PC hooked up to the Panasonic 50" 7UY with a DVI-to-HDMI cable. I'm trying to get the native resolution (1366x768) out of my NVidia 6600GT card but this resolution is not one of the options. If I go into "Advanced Timings" I can set this resolution but the display is somewhat garbled and shifted to the left. I have read in the HTPC forum about people getting the native resolution but they all seem to be using a straight DVI connection. Is this a limitation of the HDMI board? Has anyone been able to do this successfully or should I get a DVI board? I can do 720p or 1080i easily with this setup but I would like to avoid extra scaling. Thanks.
HDMI interfaces normally only work with 480/720/1080 outputs at 861B frequencies and nothing else.

While 1:1 pixel mapping is nice remember all Cable Set Top boxes and upconverting DVD players output at those resolutions and HD TV's are made to handle those.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Maybe it would be best to change among the standard output resolutions based on what I'm watching then? 480p when watching DVD and then 1080i when watching HD. Would anyone recommend this approach or should I just pick 720p or 1080i and go with it for everything?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Maybe it would be best to change among the standard output resolutions based on what I'm watching then? 480p when watching DVD and then 1080i when watching HD. Would anyone recommend this approach or should I just pick 720p or 1080i and go with it for everything?
I stopped worrying about it and set my PC's output to the same as I'd set an upconverting DVD player or Cable STB to... 720p (for a 1366x768 plasma).

Only problem I have is nVidia's driver won't seem to stick on the standard EIA 861B timings for [email protected] I reboot I need to reset that every time or video glitches on the plasma.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, until there is a way to do 1:1 pixel mapping at 50Hz and 60Hz over a digital connection, I sure as hell won't buy a Panasonic plasma.

·
23,031 Posts
crbaldwin,

Before you give up, you may want to tweak your video timings and experiment. Given the fact that you seem to be able to get something recognizable means you're getting close. In other words, if the plasma only syncs on 720p and 1080i you wouldn't get "close" feeding it a 1366x768 signal. I'm assuming "somewhat garbled" is "basically recognizable". :)

larry

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0sphor
Well, until there is a way to do 1:1 pixel mapping at 50Hz and 60Hz over a digital connection, I sure as hell won't buy a Panasonic plasma.
There is no problem getting native rate with the DVI card. I for one, am interested in determining if the HDMI card can in fact accept native rate when fed from a DVI source. I believe that I read one post that it could, but more verification would be nice.

I cannot figure out why commercial plasmas are so adverse to supporting native rate. Seems to me Panasonic should make a player that supports native rate for their plasmas and the HDMI boards should support native rate. But what do I know :)

-- Rich

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
There is no problem getting native rate with the DVI card. I for one, am interested in determining if the HDMI card can in fact accept native rate when fed from a DVI source. I believe that I read one post that it could, but more verification would be nice.

I cannot figure out why commercial plasmas are so adverse to supporting native rate. Seems to me Panasonic should make a player that supports native rate for their plasmas and the HDMI boards should support native rate. But what do I know :)

-- Rich
I don't know of any PC video cards that output HDMI.

Commercial plasmas started out as "large PC monitors", thus were built along PC resolutions and not HDTV resolutions (768 versus 720). If you want PC resolutions you need to use a PC based interface (DVI or VGA). If you want TV resolutions you need to use a TV based interface (Composite, Component, or HDMI). Yes, DVI goes "both ways" (TV & PC), but it looks like HDMI is being steered towrads TV resolutions only.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Quote:
There is but only with the DVI blade and only at 60Hz.

Quote:
This is a limitation of the HDMI blade (TY-FB7HD). The HDMI blade for whatever reason, in Panasonic's ultimate wisdom, will only accept progressive signals 720/60p..(according to the HDMI blade documentation, not even 480/60p..so only panasonic knows what happens to a 480p signal :)); 1080/24p, 1080/24sF, 1080/25p, 1080/30p, and interlaced at 480/60i, 575/50i,1080 both 50i/60i.

The manual for the HDMI blade "suggests" that the display will attempt to scale other signals, but is somewhat cryptic.

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark521
I don't know of any PC video cards that output HDMI.

Commercial plasmas started out as "large PC monitors", thus were built along PC resolutions and not HDTV resolutions (768 versus 720). If you want PC resolutions you need to use a PC based interface (DVI or VGA). If you want TV resolutions you need to use a TV based interface (Composite, Component, or HDMI). Yes, DVI goes "both ways" (TV & PC), but it looks like HDMI is being steered towrads TV resolutions only.
HDMI is backward compatible to DVI. HDMI output can be RGB and sent to a DVI device using an HDMI to DVI adapter or cable. HDMI is capable of transmitting and receiving Native rate. It is Panasonic that is limiting their HDMI adapter board.

Panasonic is largely ignoring the convergence of computers and video. It was in all the papers :)

-- Rich

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
right... count me in

8 generations now without [email protected] hz support

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quote:
There is no problem getting native rate with the DVI card.
Actually there is a problem; while the DVI blade accepts native rate, it only does so at 60Hz. This is no good for PAL material, as the frame rate conversion from 50Hz to 60Hz introduces motion judder.

Quote:
I for one, am interested in determining if the HDMI card can in fact accept native rate when fed from a DVI source. I believe that I read one post that it could, but more verification would be nice.
I second that. There is also a new 8-series HDMI blade, according to a PDF that's floating around. Apparantely it has improved 50Hz support, but native rate isn't mentioned in the specs.

Quote:
Well said, I couldn't agree with you more. Native rate at common refresh rates is a pretty basic feature if you ask me. I guess they must be totally boneheaded. :confused:

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,096 Posts
ph0sphor,

Sorry just another US centric view of refresh rates. 50Hz by all means :)

I think that Samsunh made a 768P DVD player but I think it got only so so reviews.

Who knows, maybe Panasonic is listening in :rolleyes:

-- Rich

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper
crbaldwin,

Before you give up, you may want to tweak your video timings and experiment. Given the fact that you seem to be able to get something recognizable means you're getting close. In other words, if the plasma only syncs on 720p and 1080i you wouldn't get "close" feeding it a 1366x768 signal. I'm assuming "somewhat garbled" is "basically recognizable". :)

larry
Thanks, the display does seem pretty close (only the very bottom is scrambled and it is shifted to the left) but I am hesitant to play around with the advanced timings since they have a strong warning that you could mess up your display. Also, when I tried the advanced timing before I could find no way to get rid of it. That is, everytime I selected the "720p" HDTV setting it selected this custom timing and I found no way to break the association. I had to uninstall/reinstall the drivers to fix it. I think I might just try 1080i for a while and see how it looks with HD content.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Quote:

-- Rich
The post you read would have been mine, and I continue to assert it is true, since I use that configuration every day (50PHD7UY with HDMI blade fed by iScan HD+). :).

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spa
The post you read would have been mine, and I continue to assert it is true, since I use that configuration every day (50PHD7UY with HDMI blade fed by iScan HD+). :).
Spa,

I believe you, so I ordered an HDMI blade to replace one of my DVI's.

I should get in late september.

-- Rich

·
Registered
155 Posts
Forgive me if I'm just re-stating the obvious, but make sure you have the latest NVidia drivers. The latest ones have improved HDTV support. Just this month I bought a Panny 50PX500 and a Dell Media Center PC with an NVidia 6800 graphics card, and it didn't have the latest drivers installed. The new ones, 71.xxx, are way better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.