Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far, I've heard of only two that support 1366x768:

The Kyro chipset found in older Hercules graphics cards and the PixelPerfect card from the UK company Imagine Graphics http://www.imaginegraphics.co.uk/pro...xelperfect.htm

The PixelPerfect card is an application specific (Plasma display) card that is 32MB AGP2X and is intended for commercial use, thus no big 3D capability. It is available for $495 from a handful of US resellers. Unknown how well it plays with LCDs... I'm waiting on a callback.

Reference the following post on the Kyro from the "1366 x 768 from HTPC on a Sanyo PLV-60" thread in HT Computers on 9/23/2001:

By the way, the 7075 drivers are fine for 1360x768 on the Radeon.

-Ted

----------------------------------

Ashley Saldanha

Randy,

1. You can get exactly 1366x768 with a Kyro, but only under Win9x/Me. Other cards do horizontal timing in character clocks, not pixels. (A character clock is typically 8 pixels.)

2. The virtual desktop you see is a function of the driver you're using. You'll need to use a different Radeon Win2K build.

3. The uneven quality is unlikely to be a pixel clock problem per se, but it could result from how your Sanyo reacts to your current timing. I wouldn't worry about til you resolve issue #2.

------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just discovered The Kyro and PixelPerfect use the same PowerVR chipset!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well, I have a Matrox G400 that allows me to make custom resolutions in 1 pixel increments. The older card is replaced by the Matrox G550 which should also allow 1 pixel accuracy custom resolutions. You may have to set up the resolution with Powerstrip first.

Also, if you search avsforum for "custom resolutions" I'm sure you'll find lots of info on cards that can do what you need.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by EHUFF
Well, I have a Matrox G400 that allows me to make custom resolutions in 1 pixel increments. The older card is replaced by the Matrox G550 which should also allow 1 pixel accuracy custom resolutions. You may have to set up the resolution with Powerstrip first.

Also, if you search avsforum for "custom resolutions" I'm sure you'll find lots of info on cards that can do what you need.
Been there, done that.

1366 is a nefarious resolution for most cards since they work in 8-bit increments (1366 is not divisible evenly by 8). This limitation is not overcome by Powerstrip. It seems the Matrox works in 1-bit increments as well. Anyone try 1366x768 on a G400 or 550?

·
Registered
645 Posts
You want to be careful when stepping into PowerVR waters - the Kyro I had very flexible T&R support and since there is no claim to backwards compatibility the timings are in pixels rather than character clocks. But the fact is, in newer drivers for the Kyro I and II, VideoLogic has dropped custom resolution support altogether for Win2K/XP, and while the Win9x/Me driver will do pixel-based timings like 1366, the screen is corrupted unless you use horizontal timings that are divisible by 8 (1360x768 works fine).

As for Matrox, I'm not sure why EHUFF says his card can do custom resolutions with pixel based horizontal timings. PowerDesk itself only works in 8-pixel character clocks, as does the Matrox Tech Support Tweak Utility (MTSTU). In this respect, the latest G550 is no different than the venerable Millennium I.

Considering the options, is 1360x768 so much worse than 1366x768?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, it can do 1366, but you have to use a horizontal timing that is 1360? I'm not sure I understand, Ashley. Please elaborate.

The goal here is to get the occasional shimmering and light moire effects minimized. I've found that just a couple of pixels makes a big difference and I'd like to see what a true 1366x768 signal looks like on the screen. It's clear that PixelPerfect can do it and they're using the PowerVR engine. Please share more of your experiences.

Will the Kyro II drivers for Win9x/Me support 1 pixel differentials? I assume they are the same for the Kyro and Kyro II...

Thanks!

-Ted

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so do you use PowerStrip with the Kyro or fiddle with reg settings and/or .ini files to get the 1366x768?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Sorry if I wasn't clear. What I meant was that you can setup a resolution of 1366x768, and it will appear under Display properties. But when you select and change to 1366x768 what you get is a corrupted screen. It is 1366x768, but it is completely illegible.

If you create 1360x768, by contrast, the screen looks fine when you switch to it.

As for the PixelPerfect, they are obviously using the old drivers, as well as the earlier generation chip - and charging you more for the privilege of both.

My warning was that if you get the PixelPerfect, don't count on ever having a driver upgrade, or on moving to Win2k/XP.

And in answer to the second question: creating a custom resolution of 1366x768 with either the Kyro I or II is simple with PowerStrip. You will find the resolution listed on the QuickRes menu and in Display properties afterwards. You just won't like the result when you actually switch to it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I am looking for the same resolution to drive a 50" Fujitsu plasma. The Panasonic is also the same resolution (same glass).

I was pursuing the new Kyro II cards for this resolution but none of them have DVI, and I'm determined to use DVI rather than analog VGA connectors. Even that $495 card you posted the link to is still plain old analog.

I might end up going with a plasma that has a standard resolution rather than trying to hack something together to support the Fujitsu. What were Fujitsu and Panasonic thinking when they set the plasma glass at 1366 pixels?

·
Registered
645 Posts
On looking into this further, I find that while the Kyro does horizontal CRTC timings in terms of pixels, the primary surface width must be word aligned. That means it is effectively less flexible than an older style card that does horizontal timing in character clocks.

What this means in practice is that while the Kryo I and 2 with the latest Win9x/Me drivers will do 1360x768, 1366x768 and 1368x768 resolutions, in fact out of 12 possible display settings all but the following 6 will result in corrupted screens:

1360x768x8bpp

1360x768x16bpp

1368x768x16bpp

1360x768x24bpp

1360x768x32bpp

1368x768x32bpp

analog8 - since the plasma expects a total of 1366 pixels per scanline, you could theoretically use an active resolution (as far as Windows is concerned) of 1360x768, but with the requisite total of 1366 pixels, no?

(The word-aligned surface stipulation I mentioned above only applies to active, not total pixels per scanline.)

Also: the PixelPerfect card is based on the Neon/PowerVR250 chip, not the Kyro and has little in common with it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by analog8
I am looking for the same resolution to drive a 50" Fujitsu plasma. The Panasonic is also the same resolution (same glass).

I was pursuing the new Kyro II cards for this resolution but none of them have DVI, and I'm determined to use DVI rather than analog VGA connectors. Even that $495 card you posted the link to is still plain old analog.

I might end up going with a plasma that has a standard resolution rather than trying to hack something together to support the Fujitsu. What were Fujitsu and Panasonic thinking when they set the plasma glass at 1366 pixels?
Talked to Imagine Graphics yesterday and they are coming out with a new PixelPerfect AGP 4X card in December based upon the Kyro II that can do 1366x768 AND has a DVI-D output for $495!

We're almost there!

-Ted

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.