AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my clients aske me this question? and I wasn't sure if it was possible, nor have I had a chance to play with the hardware....

Does anyone no how to use a Laptop 1394 port to view a DV CAM in windows XP?

I have used it primarily for video capture and editing, but I have never tried using the computer for "monitor" purposes?

Anyone ever tried it? Once the file is captured it is over 40G compressed..(Too big for most laptop drives to store and show)? So is it possible to just view the tape directly from the laptop monitor?

-a-

·
Registered
371 Posts
this can be done using GraphEdit, although it takes a few steps:

1) download the DirectX 8.1 SDK which provides you with a simple app called GraphEdit

2) plug your DV camcorder in and let XP recognize it

3) run GraphEdit

4) choose Graph->Insert Filters; under Video Capture Sources, click on Microsoft DV Camera and VCR and click on Insert

5) right click on the pin named DV A/V Out and choose Render

now you have a graph that tells XP how to communicate with the DV camera and sound card via DirectX filters. you can save this graph for use next time.

to play a video, simply start playing a tape in your camera and then click on the play icon in the toolbar of GraphEdit. if you want to control the camera's transport functions directly from the PC, right-click on the filter for Microsoft DV Camera and VCR and choose Properties and you will get a window with the appropriate buttons.

it's not the most user-friendly approach, but at least it saves transferring huge DV files.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.