AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the DISH 6000 STB forward compatible with 1394? Since it is designed for modules such as 8VSB, will the box support a possible 1394 module that is DTCP compliant? And, if it does support 1394, can BOTH the 1394 module AND the 8VSB module be installed simultaneously?

[This message has been edited by Joey_R (edited 03-28-2001).]

·
Registered
225 Posts
It may be possible - there are two ports on the back of the 6000 for add on modules, one of which is used by the 8VSB adapter. I suppose they could make a 1394 module for the other port if they wanted.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The word on the street is that the second port was for a DVI module. I don't see why they can't change their plans when the push for the DVI interface is inevitably crushed, though. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif The whole idea behind the expansion ports was to allow the 6000 to remain compatible, no matter what technology ended up becoming standard.

Bob

------------------
Evil Gemstar: All your guide are belong to us!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Those of us with 6000s should mail or phone this question in during the upcoming Tech Forum and Charlie Chat. I'd really like to know what E* is thinking on this issue.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Six months or so ago, they said in an article at EETimes they would never do Firewire for their STB, preferring to do DVI for whatever insane reason. I'd be very surprised if they ever come out with a module to do either for the Dish 6000. The JVC DVHS recorder they released several years ago was supposed to support IEEE 1394 via a module, but that topic was eventually dropped when the DVHS model was discontinued in favor of their Dish Player unit.

I will say this. If they "turn off" the RGB output on my Dish 6000, I'll cancel my service and I've been a subscriber for more than four years.

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I know that hating DVI/HDCP is all the rage right now, but at some point in the not-so-distant future, you are going to be begging for a purely digital display interconnect. Do you think you'll ever see one without content protection?

The goal should be to squash the requirement to downconvert the analog outputs (to support legacy displays) and not necessarily to kill a digital interconnect standard completely.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TTT

Any updates from the infamous "Tech Forum" or "Charlie Chat"? BTW, is the dialogue or threads from these forums available online?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Over at 169 I think that they are going to be doing a 1394 upgrade to the box. Its supposed to be done second quarter, but we'll c.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but, what is "over at 169"? Is this a satellite identifier?

[This message has been edited by Joey_R (edited 04-17-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.