AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Room dimensions 13x25x8'

I split between music and theater.

I enjoy SQ, but I am not an audiophile as much as I try. I am learning and hearing more though as I get older (and as my hearing goes).

So, Can the VTF3.4 pressurize this room. It is sealed. Ther are no interior doors, all exterior steel doors (2). 1 Window. Concrete floor with carpet tile over it. 2 Brick walls with drywall in front of them and 2 standard insulated drywalls.

Will this sub let me feel it?

Thats what I am wondering. I understand it has the ability to probably satisfy me musically. But will it also thump my chest in a movie.

I started off thinking 600. I have stretched my budget to 800. And naturally for just another 200..... VTF15. but seriously , you have to stop doing for just another 200... or you end up at 2000.

I don't want to start too small, but if I have to add a second in a year or two I am open to it. Wife may not be, but I am. (my room).

System currently:

VSX-1021

Pan BDT-110

Polk Monitor 60

Polk CS2

SBS-1000 for surrounds

55" LED LCD

Xbox

HTPC

Ipod remote

and

1 Chair.

contemplating more chairs, but then that means more people in my room.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
In a room like that, its hard to say if a VTF3 will have you feel the bass, especially if you are sitting in the middle of the room as opposed to against a wall. Your seating position and the subs placement will make a big difference there. If you really want to feel the bass, position the VTF3 as an endtable with whatever your seating is, with the driver facing in toward the listener, that will take the room size out of the equation and guarantee a physical sensation of bass as well as an auditory one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me follow up:

Yes seat will be more or less center in room.

1) would I be better off going with the MK2 and adding a second (or possibly a DIY build later on)

2) stepping up to the VTF15

3) Setting a sub next to seating and feeling the sub. Is this going to be similar to "pressurizing the room" or a different sensation/feeling ?

I know there is no definitive answers. I am shopping for opinions of possible/probable vs just aint gonna happen.

My only experience in the past (in my home) is a Klipsch SW-12 that was boomy and rattled things but really left me feeling bored.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
By mk2 I assume you mean the VTF2. I think the best way to pressurize your room would be two subs. Two VTF2s could do that pretty well although I don't know how they would compare to a single VF15h. I would call up Hsu and ask, they would give you the best advice on that one. As for setting up the sub next to the seat, this is called near-field placement. It isn't quite the same as pressurizing the room, it sounds and feels a little bit different, but it is still a neat sensation, and it impresses guests, as you can really fell that bass. In my experience, the bass feels louder than it sounds. I have the best of both worlds currently as I have two corner loaded subs and two near-field subs, so the bass both sounds and feels massive. The is also something to ask Hsu about. Maybe the best thing to do is to get a VTF3, and experiment with placement to see what you like best. All these placements have their different advantages.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.