AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a sat receiver, xbox, blue ray and amazon fire stick plugged into the unit and it's been great the whole time. Suddenly last week - with no changes to the systems - only one source seems to work. Whenever I switch to another source I just get the Denon screen. If I move the HDMI plugs around they work within the single source that works, but nothing works in the other sources. I physically unplugged the unit with no changes. I'm guessing something inside just finally gave out. Unless someone here has a magic fix, I'm guessing I'll be back on the market for a new receiver.

I have a bunch of Triad speakers (ceiling) and some others up front (L,R, Center) as well as a Sunfire subwoofer. All together, three up front, four in the ceiling and the sub. I'm running and old Sony VPLVW60 on a stewart firehawk screen. If I were to replace the Denon, what would be the best $500-1000 and $1000-1,500 choices? We are fairly unsophisticated movie/tv watchers... but would love to take advantage of new capabilities in that price range. It's possible we look at replacing the projector as well while we're at it... It's a Sony VPLVW60 which we've liked, although it's not bright enough for me frankly. I probably don't use it as much as I would if it were more vibrant.

Thanks for any advice!!

·
Premium Member
This spot for sale or rent.
5,806 Posts
I've got a sat receiver, xbox, blue ray and amazon fire stick plugged into the unit and it's been great the whole time. Suddenly last week - with no changes to the systems - only one source seems to work. Whenever I switch to another source I just get the Denon screen. If I move the HDMI plugs around they work within the single source that works, but nothing works in the other sources. I physically unplugged the unit with no changes. I'm guessing something inside just finally gave out. Unless someone here has a magic fix, I'm guessing I'll be back on the market for a new receiver.

I have a bunch of Triad speakers (ceiling) and some others up front (L,R, Center) as well as a Sunfire subwoofer. All together, three up front, four in the ceiling and the sub. I'm running and old Sony VPLVW60 on a stewart firehawk screen. If I were to replace the Denon, what would be the best $500-1000 and $1000-1,500 choices? We are fairly unsophisticated movie/tv watchers... but would love to take advantage of new capabilities in that price range. It's possible we look at replacing the projector as well while we're at it... It's a Sony VPLVW60 which we've liked, although it's not bright enough for me frankly. I probably don't use it as much as I would if it were more vibrant.

Thanks for any advice!!
I'd try to reset if possible. I don't know the procedure for such an old Denon, but it's worth googling, or if you still have the manual, it should be in there.
Otherwise, I doubt repair is possible as parts for something that old are probably not available. And, it would probably cost about half as much as a new one, be seriously out dated, 14 years old and possibly ready to break again.
Try several resets, and if that doesn't work, get an x3700h. It is the cheapest Denon with the best version of Audyssey. Make sure you get it from an authorized dealer, or Denon won't honor the warrantee.

·
Registered
Epson 5050 PJ/120', Ascend L/C/R w Raals, SVS x2, X4700AVR, Buckeye amp, Palliser seating
1,255 Posts
Denon will probably make your decision easy for you based on my experience with 2 Denon's that failed 3 times in less than 4 years.. Denon no longer stocked the repair parts. You're only repair option might be United Radio in New York who will rebuild failed boards and circuits. I wish mine had lasted 14 years! Good Luck

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
+1 on drh3b's recommendation to try to reset it first, but if that can't resolve the issue, there are some options with equivalent functionality (7 channels, Audyssey XT)
Assuming that you're OK foregoing HDMI 2.1 features, you could look back to last years models to keep the price down.
Below your $500-$1000 price range, Costco has the AVR-S750H with "basic" Audyssey MultEQ. In that price range, the AVR-X2600H would be most equivalent.
There's a power difference, but it may not be substantial enough to matter to you.

As mentioned by others the AVR-X3600H/X3700H offers better Audyssey XT32 room correction and more channels in your $1000-$1500 range. If you can find one, the AVR-X3600H doesn't have HDMI 2.1 and may be available for less, while offering otherwise nearly identical functionality.
FWIW, if the AVR-3808 can still use its 7.1 inputs, it could still serve as an external amplifier for preouts.

For projector screen brightness, you may want to consider an Ultra-Short Throw (UST) projector, as they have powerful lighting and specialized screens for reflectivity and prevention of ambient light washing the picture. This video talks about some differences and potential issues.

...I'm guessing something inside just finally gave out. Unless someone here has a magic fix, I'm guessing I'll be back on the market for a new receiver.
If I were to replace the Denon, what would be the best $500-1000 and $1000-1,500 choices?

We are fairly unsophisticated movie/tv watchers... but would love to take advantage of new capabilities in that price range. It's possible we look at replacing the projector as well while we're at it... It's a Sony VPLVW60 which we've liked, although it's not bright enough for me frankly. I probably don't use it as much as I would if it were more vibrant.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Denon will probably make your decision easy for you based on my experience with 2 Denon's that failed 3 times in less than 4 years.. Denon no longer stocked the repair parts. You're only repair option might be United Radio in New York who will rebuild failed boards and circuits. I wish mine had lasted 14 years! Good Luck
I used to go to United Radio to repair their copiers. I used to think it was funny that I was called to remove a paper jam in a simple copier in a room full of electro-mechanical technicians. In their area that repaired consumer HT equipment (and it was huge) with rows of pallets loaded with boxes of equipment from around the world. Since I can speak the technical jargon I had some good conversations with some of their techs. Their biggest problem is manufactures not supporting their products after a relatively short time. I personally only saw board level repair but I could be wrong. I find it interesting that I can get parts for a 40+ year old Pioneer SX1250 much easier than for a 5 year old Marantz.

·
Registered
28,963 Posts
I still have my 3808CI, I bought it used from someone locally 4-5 years ago that took great care of it. Very powerful and good sounding unit. Obviously it doesn't do 4K or have ARC/eARC but it is connected to a 1080p plasma so works perfectly for my needs.

I would suggest doing a processor reset also. Maybe that'll fix the problem you're having. Good luck.

·
Registered
672 Posts
If you get lucky, you can get a used Denon X3700H for less than $1000. If not, you have lots of options in both price categories. In general, X3*00H has XT32 room correction where X2*00H does not. X3700H has HDMI 2.1 where X3600H does not. X3700H may include a separate box to fix the HDMI 2.1 issue or it may be fixed at the factory.

Accessories4Less is a great place to buy used/refurbished models with a small warranty.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have a Denon 3808ci. It was my main home theater receiver for many years. Got it new when it first came out and I finally replaced it last year when I moved to 4k. I love Denon...never had one go bad on me.

I moved the 3808ci to the bedroom ht(5.1 1080p) and bought a Denon x4700h for the main home theater which has been wonderful(7.2.4). A nice upgrade with all the new features and tech.

Get a X3700h or x4700h if possible. Considering this is possibly a 10-year investment I don't see why you wouldn't spend another two or three hundred dollars to get what you want instead of settling. I expect my 4700 to last as long as my 3808ci or my even older avr3400 which is still perfect.

Good luck!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I knew this was a risk but I tried the reset anyway... Now none of the sources are passing a signal. I'm going to take a look at the recommended replacements, I may have follow up questions. thanks everyone!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tried a few more resets and it's just not working.... My home theater guys suggests the Denon X3700H for $1250 or the Marantz SR6015 for $1,500. He also suggests swapping out my OLD Sony VPLVW60 that he sold me 15 years ago for an Epson Pro Cinema 6050... Probably holding off on that as the Sony still works ok. Any thoughts on Denon vs Marantz?? He said my Traid speakers like the power and either receiver would work great and compare to my old one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts