AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear talk of newer camcorders offering 24Mbps recordings ... this is for a 1920x1080 recording.

I have a HG10 that does 17Mbps ... but at 1440x1080.

I did some quick math and found out that the videos from the HG10 would have the same compression ratio as a 24Mbps recording from those newer camcorders.

What gives ?

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
What gives is that 1920 > 1440. Further, 1920x1080 matches the commonly-used HDTV spec. 1440x1080 is a compromise, and is bound to reduce quality regardless of the bitrate. I would never use 1440x1080.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The bitrate may be the same, but the compression algorithms are completely different. AVCHD is more efficient compression in that the same quality can be put into a smaller package. In other words, to match the picture quality of AVCHD @ 17Mbps, MPEG2 requires a much higher bitrate.

Simple rule of thumb is that at the same bitrate, AVCHD is superior to MPEG2. That's one reason why AVCHD can do 1920x1080.

Of course picture quality still comes down to the camcorder itself. Bitrate is only part of the story as there's obvious differences between camcorders at the same AVCHD bitrate.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilblue /forum/post/16915320

Of course picture quality still comes down to the camcorder itself. Bitrate is only part of the story as there's obvious differences between camcorders at the same AVCHD bitrate.

Right on-target with that point, oilblue. Factors like the optics and the CCD or CMOS capture chip are important. I chose Canon for those reasons. Others make different choices for similar considerations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts