AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that Dish has begun the process of turning on HD Satellite 148 I am planning to subscribe to their service. My questions revolve around the integration of the HTPC, the brains of my entire setup, and satellite broadcasts.

1) Any cards out yet allowing me to use the PC as the tuner/controller box for satellite reception (DISH)? (if not, any about to be released that will work with dish?)

2) If I have to go with a Dish 6000 is there an advantage in piping into the HTPC with the HD stream, or should that go directly to the D-ila?

3) If the HD goes directly to the D-ila, should the standard satellite broadcasts go from the 6000 to the PC for processing by dTV?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi,

If you can find a DISH 5000 model IRD with a HDTV module this will output an 8VSB signal that you can demodulate with a HTPC card (I've read posts of this working). I also read a recent post of someone who had some 5000's available (I do not think they are made anymore. There are disadvantages to the 5000 vs the 6000 (such as no OTA and no guide overlay on the HD channels), but these are minor.

Jay

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.