AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I recently replaced all my downstairs carpet except my small theater room. That carpet is now trashed and needs replacing and I was looking for thoughts on putting laminate in such a small room. I have a 5.1 system in there now and we never really blast the audio in the room so I'm not sure how it would sound with hard floors.

My other concern is my video source is a ceiling mounted projector and screen. Does anyone have any experience if the floor will reflect from off the screen and make it uncomfortable due to the glare?

My other option was to get a shag carpet and go the simple route though laminate would make it much easier to clean up.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I was leaning towards at first bit had enough laminate to cover the room. Probably should stick with the safe route and go carpet. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Any surface that has a gloss will have a negative effect on video performance and a hard floor

represents a reflective surface for the audio end of things.

Pair up quality underpad with a dark, hard wearing Berber. Since the room is small, you

could search out end of roll carpet.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1520758/14x11-room-currently-have-carpet-replace-with-laminate#post_24433045

I would put dark-coloured carpet (doesn't have to be shag) in the theatre with double padding.

Incorrect. I'm a master carpet installer here in Detroit, MI. Double padding will not only allow you adhere the carpet to the tac strip, but it will ruin the carpet wear.

For sound, I recommend 40 oz or heavier synthetic padding or 8 lb solid rubber padding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts