AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
28,807 Posts
In that price range i would seriously consider Alcons Audio CRMSCompact. Perfect movie and really great music speaker system if the minimal design does not bother you. Also the wide dispersion pattern up til the 20khz at high SPL gives you nearly always stereo music in the room when driniv only L+C.

one drawback - bit noisy amp.

undoubtful one of the best systems money can buy.
Can you do an Alcons system (7 speakers plus subs) for 15 to 20K?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Can you do an Alcons system (7 speakers plus subs) for 15 to 20K?
No, you can't. But according to Topic $15-20k Budget: Best LCR for Home Theater & Music you can.
I don’t think even good Alcons LCR solution can be done in that price . From what I recall decent LCR will need two channels of amplification for each speaker , so that’s 6 channels for LCR . And each of their amp is I believe in 8-10k range and you will need two amps . I am going from my memory from what I read few months ago . Someone with more specific knowledge can probably chime in with more details

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have owned JTR speakers before. I much prefer what I have now. If you look at the attached picture of my baffle wall, you can barely see the bottom section of my LCR's under the screen. The mids on each side of the horn loaded AMT are TD12M's. Using Bema TPL-150H for the tweeter. Second picture with grills and velvet curtains in place.
I love the look of that Mike and all the black I will be insulating a lot better myself at some stage when I can make it more permanent. My set-up is a little temporary presently as I'm looking for another home in the next 6-12 months. For context, here's the line-up of my front section for LCR and you'll see the Velodyne's down the bottom
Old JTR Triple 12 set-up shown for reference. The Krix are MUCH bigger. I had a removable frame put together so the whole screen set-up can be slid out whilst the temp set-up.

Attachments

·
Registered
28,807 Posts
What models did you own? The newer coax CD that JTR uses is a huge upgrade IMO. It is used in all of the current "R" models, which are more expensive of course.
What I have owned was years ago, Triple 8's, but I have heard many of the current JTR models. I just like the sound of the AMT tweeter better than compression drivers. The horn loaded Beyma has the SPL performance of a compression driver, but the sound like a ribbon.
http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%20tpl150h-1.htm

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
What I have owned was years ago, Triple 8's, but I have heard many of the current JTR models. I just like the sound of the AMT tweeter better than compression drivers. The horn loaded Beyma has the SPL performance of a compression driver, but the sound like a ribbon.
http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma tpl150h-1.htm
Very nice indeed! I'm a fan of horns and of ribbons.

In fact, at this moment I am taking a break from reconfiguring my room to accommodate the Funk Audio 15.h and 12.2HPs.

·
Registered
28,807 Posts
Very nice indeed! I'm a fan of horns and of ribbons.

In fact, at this moment I am taking a break from reconfiguring my room to accommodate the Funk Audio 15.h and 12.2HPs.
Yeah, I bet those perform very well. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don’t think even good Alcons LCR solution can be done in that price . From what I recall decent LCR will need two channels of amplification for each speaker , so that’s 6 channels for LCR . And each of their amp is I believe in 8-10k range and you will need two amps . I am going from my memory from what I read few months ago . Someone with more specific knowledge can probably chime in with more details
Well, i have a 7.1 Alcons running in my HT. There is no bad or less good/decent Alcons solution nor do you have to do bi-amping. It's optional with the CRMSCompact speaker where you can drive them either passive or in a two way active filtering configuration .

The Compact Series is way enough for rooms up to 33ft in depth. The next higher MK II need bi-amping though and could not be done for that amount.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My system:
AVR: Anthem mrx 720
Power amp: Parasound A31, Nordacoustics Nord One MP NC252 4 250W Channels
front: Revel Performa3 F208
center: Revel Performa3 C208
surround: 4 Revel Concerta2 S16
TV: 65 LG OLED C7 4K

Attachments

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
WHile everyone is giving recommendations, the OP hasn't been back to this thread in a week. It looks like he is considerin JTR based on his recent posts.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Triad Plats were going to be my recommendation also. Really good performing speaker. Love the AMT tweeter in that custom wood horn.
The Plats are a silk dome behind a horn. I think you mean the Cinema Reference. Would love to demo them, I really liked the sound of the Plats, but I thought I'd blow them to smithereens, lol. But, I am pretty happy with my M2s, so....maybe I shouldn't go demo anything ever again, lol.

·
Registered
28,807 Posts
The Plats are a silk dome behind a horn. I think you mean the Cinema Reference. Would love to demo them, I really liked the sound of the Plats, but I thought I'd blow them to smithereens, lol. But, I am pretty happy with my M2s, so....maybe I shouldn't go demo anything ever again, lol.
You are correct. The Cinema Reference uses a version of the Beyma TPL-150 AMT driver in Triad's custom horn. I do still really like the sound from the Plats. The Cinema Reference is not anywhere close to OP'ers budget.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
You are correct. The Cinema Reference uses a version of the Beyma TPL-150 AMT driver in Triad's custom horn. I do still really like the sound from the Plats. The Cinema Reference is not anywhere close to OP'ers budget.
Aren't they like $20-30k a piece?

But yea, the Plats are very nice. Heard them multiple times in different AVS guys rooms.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Yes. The design of that speaker is very close to my speakers.
Wow, that's not bad at all. I thought they were multile times more expensive than the Plats.

Makes me wonder how they compare to the Quested and Alcons Ribbon options...

Edit: BTW, yours is more of a DIY option, correct? How much did they cost you if you don't mind me asking? Not including amps because I think I saw you mention running them active.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts