AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Great Deal I picked up one of these about 3 months ago for $29.99 and then another one last week for $9.97. JP1 works great, comes with a built in six pin connector accessable from the battery door. I wish I coud find more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is a great remote. For under $10 it's a steal. It has Replay codes built in. Some of the commands you have to program in but it's not that hard to to with Advanced codes.

Not a perfect remote but it has JP1 and Advanced Codes. I can control about 90% of all my components (6 in total) with one remote. The other 10% are obscure commands that I'm just too lazy to program.

Not as cool looking at a touch-screen remote... but then again, try getting a touch screen remote for that price.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When you say that it has Replay codes built in, which code do you use to setup your remote? I tried 0614 & 0616 and neither seem to give me control over my Replay. I will probably invest in a JP1 cable, but in the mean time I would like some control over my Replay, even if it is limited.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My mistake. I just realized that codes are specific to the device type. I was trying to set code 0614 to the CBL/SAT button. It worked correctly when I assigned it to the VCR button. Now I need to figure out how to assign my JVC VCR to the CBL/SAT button.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Polson... if you go JP1 this is no problem. In fact, I used what's called an "extender" to program both my Replay and my VCR to the "VCR" button. You toggle between the two by hitting a key of your choice. In my case, the TV / VCR button works great for that purpose since I switch between video inputs using my receiver.

I grabbed another 2104 yesterday at my local RS... now I've got three. A little overkill, but for $10 who cares!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I found one yesterday - great deal. Worked fine with my 4504 using code 0616. Couple of questions though....

Is there a key mapped for "Return to Live"?

Has anyone else noticed that the remote seems "slow"? By this I mean that my individual component remotes seem to control the devices faster than the 2104 seems to. Maybe the 2104 just needs the buttons to be completely pressed down before the codes are sent..I dunno.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I've never noticed any difference in response times. Try a fresh set of batteries, maybe.

I "learned" the CA, 30 Sec skip, replay, and return to live buttons to the four macro keys myself.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by polson
My mistake. I just realized that codes are specific to the device type. I was trying to set code 0614 to the CBL/SAT button. It worked correctly when I assigned it to the VCR button. Now I need to figure out how to assign my JVC VCR to the CBL/SAT button.
Polson -

All you have to do is turn the "CBL/SAT" button into a "VCR" button.

To do this, just hit SETUP (until it blinks twice) 9-9-2-VCR-CBL/SAT

The remote will blink twice, and you should be able to assign code 0614 to the CBL/SAT button.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by polson
The best set up is to leave the VCR button to control your VCR (if you still have one ..) and reassign the CAB/SAT button to VCR.

If you have the hardware (just a cable) for JP1 programming that is definitely they way to go, but you can also reprogram practically every key on the remote with Advanced codes.

This is a good link for reference:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/advanced.shtml

There are alot of undocumented features of this remote not contained in the RadioShack manual. There are other more extensive instructions out there, that tell you how to program everthing. (don't have the link on me, but a google search will find it.) This remote is very similar to the One-For-All Remotes.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Just don't let me catch you using JP1 on that remote, Chris. :)

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The Robman
Just don't let me catch you using JP1 on that remote, Chris. :)
Funny. I did get my JP1 cable out and it fits in the remote just fine. I now have 2 JP1 remotes so all I need is knowledge and I will be all set.

Chris

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a question. If I change the remote codes on my new 5060, Can I use a programmable remote? Like the 15-1994, without having to change the JP1 thing? In other words. Are there remotes available now that have the extra codes for the SB 5060? Without having to do the JP1 programming?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Gerhard
Funny. I did get my JP1 cable out and it fits in the remote just fine. I now have 2 JP1 remotes so all I need is knowledge and I will be all set.
Chris,

I have two of these remotes and and I have programmed both of them using the JP1 connector. If you need any help just ask. I will even send you my 5040 config files if you want them.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alleng
I have a question. If I change the remote codes on my new 5060, Can I use a programmable remote? Like the 15-1994, without having to change the JP1 thing? In other words. Are there remotes available now that have the extra codes for the SB 5060? Without having to do the JP1 programming?
No. There are no remotes that come with Replay codes pre-programmed with anything other than unit code 0. Your only option is to get a PC programmable remote. If you don't like JP1 your best bet is the Philips Pronto, but that also will require PC programming to do what you need and the Pronto will cost you anywhere from $200 to $700.

There are other programmable remotes emerging, like the RTI Theater Touch and the recently hackable MX500, but these too will require PC programming.

If you don't have a PC I would suggest sticking with the POWER toggle method.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I guess I will start out by making one of those connectors. Actually, I bought the parts quite a while back. The saw and knife and everything. I avoided it because I only had 2 units in 1 location. Now I have 3. So I guess I will start on that. I have replaced every part on my computer a couple of times. I guess I can take on this JP1 programming.

Thanks Robman and all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.