AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here am I again with the eternal "which Nautilus" question.

This morning I auditioned the 804s and 803s side by side at my favorite dealer, and I felt there was as significant difference on both mids and lows. The 803 had just more presence than the 804.

I've been into many threads where people usually tend to think the 804 or 802 are the best choice, but the 802 is kinda out of my budget today, while the 803 just fits.

Where I live it's not that easy to sell or trade-in such an expensive model, so my choices have to be well thought over, whatever I buy is supposed to last some years in my room. Speakerwise, I don't think I'll be upgrading again for many years, so this makes this decision a lot tougher.

Now my dealer, who I've known for years, offered me 15% off on their showroom unit. It's 1 year old and sounds and looks great, not a single scratch or anything. Also, she said the Nautilus line doesn't get that much auditioned at the store, so the 803 has a 'low milage'. :D

My question is do you think it's okay to make to move on this particular pair of 803s or should I get new 804s...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Ok let me preface this by saying I don't know how firm the MSRP is on Nautilus's and I have some pretty good contacts for discounts so maybe my opinion isn't the best one to listen to.

15% off MSRP is nowhere near good enough for a discount for used speakers. Now if that is 15% off his regular or sale price on the 803's which is x% off the MSRP that might be different. I think if you haggle or shop around enough you can get 15% off almost any HT product and thats new.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If the 803 sounds better to you, then chances are you should pick them up. Regardless of what you pay for either speaker, you will always have a little bit of buyer's remorse in the back of your mind if you pick up the 804s simply because you liked the 803s better. Plain and simple. :)

I know there is a lot of talk out there about the 803s not being worth it or rather, I should correct myself here, the 802s and 804s being the most value in the Nautilus line. But the truth of the matter is that these are others' opinions and not yours. My suggestion would be to get what you want and it sounds to me like you want the 803s. :) :) :)

Best of luck,

RR

·
Registered
523 Posts
Dennis - if she wants to sell them, ask her to let you audition them in your home, maybe on a day when the store is closed. If you're blown away, then the 15% is irrelevant in the long run.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have another option you might want to try. A lot of B&W dealers carry Rel subs. Try a pair of N804s with a Rel Strata III. I have that combo with a Bryston 4B ST powering the N804s. It sounds great!

As far as buying a pair of dealer demos for app. $4250, that 's a pretty good deal. Very few B&W dealers will haggle on price. However, if they're offering 15% off, I'd ask for 20% off...

Regardless of which B&Ws you get, don't forget to allow for decent amplification in your budget. A good, high current amp is needed to make either the N804 or N803 sound like they're supposed to. They'll sound darn good with a receiver. They'll sound MUCH different with decent amplification.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Sounds like some good advice here -- haggle, quality components, add a sub. Seems to me in speakers you don't want the best value, you want the best sound and a good value. For many years the rule of thumb was to buy the best speakers you could afford, because it was easier and less expensive to upgrade the other components over time while good speakers last "almost" forever. Could apply here ... just my $0.02

Good luck, Michael

·
Registered
501 Posts
I bought my N804s which were about double my speaker budget. It made me wait a year for an amp, and run them off of a reciever until just this month, but it was still worth it. After hearing the 804s, if I had gone with the 600 series or CDMs, I would be looking to upgrade already...

It sounds to me like you are in a similar position with the 803s, if those are the ones you fall in love with, buying anything less will leave you with a sense of disatisfaction with your system. It would be best if you can get a decent amp for them (or have one already) but if not, just realise it will make worlds of difference when you add one. To be honest with you, once I added the amp, I never use my sub for anything but HT, all 2 ch is in direct mode now. Bass opened up by a huge margin, mids and highs are cleaner, and soundstage is better. Going from a receiver to an amp was like upgrading my 804s to 802s. Sure, there is better out there, but this is what I am happy with. It seems to me that the 803s would put you in a similar situation.

Iostream

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for your opinions, guys.

I've already made the move to separates some time ago. I'm using my Marantz SR7200 as a pre/pro and got a Rotel RMB-1075 which totally rocked my 602s - I mean, there's no way I could describe the difference. I'm a faithful believer in separates. :D

So that was the last upgrade I did, and I've been feeling "itchy" since then... I can almost "feel" the speakers being the limiting element in my setup. :D

I realize I can't swing the 802s for now. Actually for a long time. But this is an opportunity to get very close with the 803s. As many of you have put it, I guess I'll always regret it if I don't get the best I can afford... :(

B&Ws are rarely discounted here and that pair of speakers is in perfect shape, already broken-in... and I get full warranty. I guess I'll be doing some serious math today... :rolleyes:

Thanks again to you all.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hi DennisB,

I think you should buy the better speaker regardless if it was new or used. As long as the used speakers are performing well without any damage.

As for buying B&W speakers or any stereo components for that matter. I feel you can easily get at least 20% off new components.

And if it is used or a trade in pair of speakers you should ask for 30% off the list price. There is an average of 40 to 50% mark up on speakers.

And at the end of the day you will be happier with the better sounding speaker. And if the N803's are more to your liking then pay a little more money and be happier in the long run.

Just my 2cents, Brian

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bkwong73
Hi DennisB,

I think you should buy the better speaker regardless if it was new or used. As long as the used speakers are performing well without any damage.

As for buying B&W speakers or any stereo components for that matter. I feel you can easily get at least 20% off new components.

And if it is used or a trade in pair of speakers you should ask for 30% off the list price. There is an average of 40 to 50% mark up on speakers.

And at the end of the day you will be happier with the better sounding speaker. And if the N803's are more to your liking then pay a little more money and be happier in the long run.

Just my 2cents, Brian

30% off list B&W demo speakers!! Wow! That sure is a nice dream.

15% off for demo isn't awesome but is very reasonable considering the dealer markup isn't 50%.

I'd love for someone saying you can get 20% or more to prove it. You can ask but if you are wanting too much, maybe you are shopping in the wrong store. Just my $.02.

Dave

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your input.

But I know for a fact that I can get 30% off the speakers if I wanted to buy them. It really depends on how good of a negotiator you are and how flexible your local dealer is and how good of a relationship you have with them.

Just my 2cents, Brian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.