AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read a lot here while contemplating my single sub build. I am looking at a DIYSG flat pack for 15" or 18", ported or sealed (4 cu ft either way), for a quick build.

The basement room is 12.5"w x 19"l (7.5"h) ... BUT the back is half-open via a dividing staircase to the back part of basement which is 12"x12".

Originally I thought a 15" ported with a Dayton reference and 500w BASH amp would be good (Erich has as full kit put together). Then I started wondering about 18" sealed with one of those Dayton 18UM monsters and a separate rack amp (inuke). I think 18" ported is too much (physically and possibly output-wise). Aesthetics are moderately important (approx 24" max on any/all dimensions).

70% movies, 30% music (Metallica to Norah Jones to you name it).

One thing to note - my speakers are Triad Bronze (MTM 5 1/2" midwoofers) so definitely on the small side (may be upgraded down the road).

Thoughts on 15" ported vs 18" sealed? Other ideas I need to consider? This post has me leaning 15" ported (high output down to 20hz comment).

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you're looking for something easy to put together, then I'd go with a UM18 and a flat pack from DIYSG. Either the sealed flat pack (you'll have to buy it from P-E) or the 18" Cube (ported design). It's fairly compact. I have no idea about port length and tune for this cab, but I assume you can get some good output from it.

I wouldn't even consider a 15" driver. If you have space, then ported is always a better way to go, but if space is limited then sealed is a fine compromise. Just keep in mind you'll need more power for a sealed sub than you would with ported.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're looking for something easy to put together, then I'd go with a UM18 and a flat pack from DIYSG. Either the sealed flat pack (you'll have to buy it from P-E) or the 18" Cube (ported design). It's fairly compact. I have no idea about port length and tune for this cab, but I assume you can get some good output from it.

I wouldn't even consider a 15" driver. If you have space, then ported is always a better way to go, but if space is limited then sealed is a fine compromise. Just keep in mind you'll need more power for a sealed sub than you would with ported.
Yeah if I go 18" sealed it would prolly be with an inuke or something. That amp is ugly and loud though so I may stick it behind the wall.

I wouldn't even consider a 15" driver
But why no 15" at all?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have read a lot here while contemplating my single sub build. I am looking at a DIYSG flat pack for 15" or 18", ported or sealed (4 cu ft either way), for a quick build.

The basement room is 12.5"w x 19"l (7.5"h) ... BUT the back is half-open via a dividing staircase to the back part of basement which is 12"x12".

Originally I thought a 15" ported with a Dayton reference and 500w BASH amp would be good (Erich has as full kit put together). Then I started wondering about 18" sealed with one of those Dayton 18UM monsters and a separate rack amp (inuke). I think 18" ported is too much (physically and possibly output-wise). Aesthetics are moderately important (approx 24" max on any/all dimensions).

70% movies, 30% music (Metallica to Norah Jones to you name it).

One thing to note - my speakers are Triad Bronze (MTM 5 1/2" midwoofers) so definitely on the small side (may be upgraded down the road).

Thoughts on 15" ported vs 18" sealed? Other ideas I need to consider? This post has me leaning 15" ported (high output down to 20hz comment).
Either the sealed flat pack (you'll have to buy it from P-E) ...
What about this DIYSG flatpack for 18" sealed ? Seems almost identical.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
It all kind of depends on your current subwoofer experience, which will influence what specific result you're looking for. For example, if you're used to a little ported 8" HTIB sub, then likely any of the above will make you a happy camper. If you are more used to a certain level of bass, then you'll crave a little more. Similarly, some people build great sealed subs with good output down to single digits, and then say they can't hear any bass because they're just used to high tuned ported subs that may be boomier, but louder and easier to notice.

I think a sealed 18 or a ported 15 are great options, with the 15 being the "value proposition" due to the slightly less expensive driver, and the lower power requirement. A ported sub will do very well down to the tuning frequency, and then lose output fast. A sealed sub won't have as much impact at the same frequency, but will give you more below that point.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You seem a bit "large cab averse." You can get good output from a smaller, ported cab, but to truly realize what a ported cab has to offer it needs to be designed specific to the driver you're using. And the UM-series likes big cabs...check my build thread and others to see that. FYI, the vast majority of HT subwoofers like a big cab due to the typical sub-20Hz tunings. Those pro sound ported cabs you see that are not much bigger than a sealed UM18 but have crazy SPL ratings are tuned above 30Hz, typically and can get away with a much smaller ported box.

So, if you want quick and easy, the UM-18 sealed flatpack is the ticket. The reasons behind choosing an 18" over a 15" are simple. A lot more output from a box not much larger, AND, once you get a taste of a properly powered real sub, you will want more. The 18" will delay the arrival of the HT Beast in You just that much longer. :D

And, as OJBartley said, if you're used to a little 8" or 10" HTIB type sub, a UM18 sealed with the proper power will open your eyes, big time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It all kind of depends on your current subwoofer experience, which will influence what specific result you're looking for.
Looking for brand new, exciting, throw my fists into the air screaming "hell yeah" result :D :D :D While not having wife take one look and say, "hell no!" :mad:

But I just re-measured the space where the sub will go, and I can actually fit a DIYSG 18" ported cube in the left corner (see pic). There's a comparably sized sump pump enclosure on the right side of the screen and a bench we JUST made in the middle which limit dual sub options. With 26.5" to the bottom of the projection screen, I think the single 18" ported will fit, depending on feet.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
DIY screen?
Silver Ticket They almost give those things away. I would have done AT but just don't have the extra room for a false wall with a bar area behind the seats....and that damn sump pump :mad:

Get the ported cube with the right driver and a good amp...
Is the Dayton Reference or UM better for that ported 18" cube from DIYSG? Or another driver such as the SI18?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I agree that you will see more output from a single ported vs a single sealed sub... so your off to a great start, the Um18-22 will want to see a larger box then the 460-HO... something to consider....
The iNuke amps are ugly, have you considered an XLS2502? I use them for my subs and am quite happy....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Is the Dayton Reference or UM better for that ported 18" cube from DIYSG? Or another driver such as the SI18?
The Cube18 Ported flat pack is designed for the Dayton RS 18" driver, not for the UM18-22 driver. The HST-18 and UM18 would probably fit, but both of those drivers do better in larger ported enclosures.

I also recommend the Crown XLS2502. I recently purchased a pair of them for some DIY subs and I'm very happy. I haven't had the fan come on once yet.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Ported is better if you have the room. You get the same output at around 15-16hz from either but above that ported runs away with it 20hz to 40hz. At 20hz I gained 11db over sealed. That's a startling difference and one I wouldn't give up for 10hz being that this system is on a cement slab which kills the low end.

The 18" hits the same SPL with 1/2 the power of the 15" or 3db more with the same power. Even if you are going sealed, this 3db is important so I would go 18" regardless

As far as having too much bass, you will quickly find that there is no such thing. Surprisingly, the sub is always the limiting factor. Even with 4 ported TC Sounds 18's, arguably one of the best 18's ever, my mains are coasting along while my subs are hitting clip lights on my 2 4000watt peavey amps (8000w total). Doubling output power would only net me 3db more overall. Yes, I run my bass hot.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
As far as having too much bass, you will quickly find that there is no such thing. Surprisingly, the sub is always the limiting factor. Even with 4 ported TC Sounds 18's, arguably one of the best 18's ever, my mains are coasting along while my subs are hitting clip lights on my 2 4000watt peavey amps (8000w total). Doubling output power would only net me 3db more overall. Yes, I run my bass hot.
No such thing as too much bass... Even when it cracks your drywall... I run my bass hot too... Its addictive....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ported is better if you have the room. You get the same output at around 15-16hz from either but above that ported runs away with it 20hz to 40hz. At 20hz I gained 11db over sealed. That's a startling difference and one I wouldn't give up for 10hz being that this system is on a cement slab which kills the low end.
The cement makes a big diff?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
What about my beer glasses and growlers??? :eek: This room is not insulated, and the walls are beaded plywood panels. :confused:
One sub shouldn't cause you too much worry there.... I run a pair of 24's and have only cracked my drywall a couple of times during very VERY crazy sessions... Knocked/Vibrated my projector off the shelf onto my head once too.... whoops....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts