AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was curious what you guys thought of the TC Sounds LMS-R vs the Exodus Tempest X2. I know the Exodus are pretty well respected drivers, and i hear wonders about the 18" LMS-Ultra 5400, but im not really sure how the rest of the TC drivers match up.

I'm tossing around the idea of either a sealed 15" with 2 PR's, or a dual opposed configuration and wanted to get some opinions.

Right now i'm leaning towards buying a Hsu VTF-15H to replace my A2-300, but, if i can have a cabinet built, order the drivers and amp and install them myself and acheive much better results for roughly the same money ($1000 give or take a couple hundred), i'm not opposed to going that route.

My goals are not super hardcore, i would like it to be able to extend reasonably low, 15hz or so with authority. I'm in a 3700 cubic foot room. WAF is a non issue. Size wize i'd like to keep it 26" or less W, 24" or less deep, and height isnt a super big deal, though anything over 36" would probably be pushing it.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
go with the hsu, to build a cabinet of that caliber will cost you a couple of bills, the driver is going to cost you another couple of bills, the amp is going to cost you another couple of bills. My diy costed more then the HSU and its not significantly better. I wish the hsu vf15 was available when i was in the market, i would have got 2.

·
Registered
642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir /forum/post/19525543

Was curious what you guys thought of the TC Sounds LMS-R vs the Exodus Tempest X2. I know the Exodus are pretty well respected drivers, and i hear wonders about the 18" LMS-Ultra 5400, but im not really sure how the rest of the TC drivers match up.

I'm tossing around the idea of either a sealed 15" with 2 PR's, or a dual opposed configuration and wanted to get some opinions.

Right now i'm leaning towards buying a Hsu VTF-15H to replace my A2-300, but, if i can have a cabinet built, order the drivers and amp and install them myself and acheive much better results for roughly the same money ($1000 give or take a couple hundred), i'm not opposed to going that route.

My goals are not super hardcore, i would like it to be able to extend reasonably low, 15hz or so with authority. I'm in a 3700 cubic foot room. WAF is a non issue. Size wize i'd like to keep it 26" or less W, 24" or less deep, and height isnt a super big deal, though anything over 36" would probably be pushing it.

I thought about the dual opposed Tempest setup as well but decided on a single Mal-X in a 4-5cu/ft sealed enclosure due to placement issues.

How big of a room are we talking about? Is it closed off or open to the rest of the house?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt34 /forum/post/19526902

How big of a room are we talking about? Is it closed off or open to the rest of the house?

I've thought about that too, or even a 21" mael in a 7ish cubic ft sealed box.

The room is roughly 3700 ft^3 it is basically the entire basement short of the laundry room and two bedrooms and bathroom, which all have doors.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz /forum/post/19526367

go with the hsu, to build a cabinet of that caliber will cost you a couple of bills, the driver is going to cost you another couple of bills, the amp is going to cost you another couple of bills. My diy costed more then the HSU and its not significantly better. I wish the hsu vf15 was available when i was in the market, i would have got 2.

For $1000 DIY will give him better performance. "Significantly better" would be up to him.

What did you build and compare directly against the HSU?

·
Registered
642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir /forum/post/19527000

I've thought about that too, or even a 21" mael in a 7ish cubic ft sealed box.

The room is roughly 3700 ft^3 it is basically the entire basement short of the laundry room and two bedrooms and bathroom, which all have doors.

Yeah, 21" Mal-x would be awesome, but being in the military and moving every so often I don't want to get crazy with the larger subs as I don't know what size house I'll be getting.

How big can you go? You might be better off with a couple ported 7 cu/ft tempest-x in that size of room.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
What 15" drivers? Same room? Same content? Corner gain is always great too.

Im going to agree that within the performance limits the HSU is going to be great but for $1000 we can get two subs instead of one.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

Im going to agree that within the performance limits the HSU is going to be great but for $1000 we can get two subs instead of one.[/QUOTE

its the enclosure that makes the cost high.(WAF thing). but yes, i think one can make 2 good sub for the price excluding the amp and eq.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/19528748

Im going to agree that within the performance limits the HSU is going to be great but for $1000 we can get two subs instead of one.[/QUOTE

its the enclosure that makes the cost high.(WAF thing). but yes, i think one can make 2 good sub for the price excluding the amp and eq.

I really love those cabinets, but they're super pricey and i've just read a lot of issues with Acoustic Elegance taking forever and three days to deliver products (i.e. time frames that make eD look like they're shipping instantly).

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz /forum/post/19529700

Nice AE kit!! Does one HSU subjectively match it?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir /forum/post/19532197

I really love those cabinets, but they're super pricey and i've just read a lot of issues with Acoustic Elegance taking forever and three days to deliver products (i.e. time frames that make eD look like they're shipping instantly).

Yeah, sadly the AV series drivers have been delayed.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
sq wise, hsu is every bit as good but isn't as loud as the ae kit. we crank the reciever 0 on both hsu and i still feel i want more, but than again i feel the same on my ae kit, than again, i was in a treated room. But i got to tell you, the cab on the hsu is WOW, nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.