AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going over my initial design (for the fourth or fifth time) and having 8 seats is a priority for me. The room is 23(ish)x 15. The room width is defined by an outside wall and lolli columns. Has anyone gotten two rows of seats (preferrably Berklines) into a room that narrow?

The entrance to my room will be from the back, so even if I get two rows in... will I be able to comfortably get past the back row?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ive been couch shopping and can tell you it will be tight. I recon make it a 3 in a row afair and maybe chuck some poofy pillows in there for people to sit on. The type of seating will make a world of difference.

example you might only be able to squeze in two big recliner chairs next to each other and if your lucky maybe a 4 seater couch with little to know space to pass down the sides. Those rainbow shaped couches might do the trick for you if you dont mind rubbing elbows with the person sitting next to you...might be a good thing depending on who it is; unless its your fat cussin with BO and garlic breath.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
The 13175 is one of Berkline's narrower models - 4 in a straight configuration would be 120" (10') wide, so it could work (2 1/2' on each side, which is plenty). You could also make one or two loveseats in a row, which would reduce the width by 4" or 8").

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/19638675

The 13175 is one of Berkline's narrower models - 4 in a straight configuration would be 120" (10') wide, so it could work (2 1/2' on each side, which is plenty). You could also make one or two loveseats in a row, which would reduce the width by 4" or 8").

+1. You should have plenty of width for 4 chairs. I'd be more concerned about length, although you may have worked that out already.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't see any problems, mine is aprox 11.5' wide and I have 3 Berks in a curved configuration at the front...

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
It depends on whether or not you need walking space on both sides of the rows.

Even if you do need walking space on both sides of the rows, as another poster mentioned, Berkline makes narrow models. I have a 14 3/4 foot wide room and I have a row of 4 Berkline 088s with plenty of room on each side to walk by. When I was doing my design if I had used some of their not so narrow seating I wouldn't have been able to do 4 wide.

Keep in mind, your body type might need a wider seat. This has nothing to do with being fat mind you, but rather the ergonomics of the chair itself. It's more about being tall.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,172 Posts
If you are tall you should ask RSH about which Berklines are narrow but have a taller back. He is an encyclopedia of all things Berkline. He hangs out over on the Accessories forum. He also has a sale (power buy) going on I think.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the quick replies, in doing my SketchUp modelling I downloaded and compressed a set of Berkline 12010s to 117.5 inches (which equalled my expected configuration of 3 seats of 27.5" and 1 seat of 35". It looked ok but I'm really looking for that "yeah I've done that and it works fine" post of reassurance.

Big, thanks for the info on RSH and the Power Buy... I'll go look that up. Also, as many others have said, I LOVE your build. Because of it, my wife now wants a row of barstools behind our 2nd row of seats. As Fotto mentions, I do have a bit of a depth issue to contend with though. I haven't worked it all out yet (frankly, I have more to read/learn about viewing distance/angle, riser height, projector placement, etc. before I'm comfortable finalizing anything). As of right now, my front row seats will have a viewing distance of ~11-12' and the 2nd row will have a distance of ~15-16'.

ScubaSteve (love the name), thanks for the info on the high back chairs. My family is tall, my wife and I are both 6', my Father-In-Law is 6'5", my young kids are both tall for their age and I anticipate them being over 6' as well. I'll be sure to "try before I buy", I live in NJ and am hopeful that I can find a retailer with what I'm looking to buy in stock.

Brad, forgive my ignorance but when you say "make one or two loveseats" you mean remove an armrest between two Berklines, correct? I absolutely would do that, I'm definitely not committed to any specific configuration yet.

Thanks again!

Chris

·
Registered
5,128 Posts

Quote:
Brad, forgive my ignorance but when you say "make one or two loveseats" you mean remove an armrest between two Berklines, correct? I absolutely would do that, I'm definitely not committed to any specific configuration yet.

Yes exactly - Roman (rsh) can configure them accordingly. Very accommodating and knowledgeable guy - and the best prices anywhere.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camack7827 /forum/post/19640382

I live in NJ and am hopeful that I can find a retailer with what I'm looking to buy in stock.

Chris

I think Roman is in NJ too...

·
Registered
742 Posts

Quote:

I'll be sure to "try before I buy", I live in NJ and am hopeful that I can find a retailer with what I'm looking to buy in stock.

NJ here too, Princeton area to be exact. Mind if I ask if you're near by? It'd be nice to bounce ideas off of someone who's local. And Roman's warehouse is in Bridgewater, NJ like someone just mentioned. I just got done speaking with him this morning actually. He said you can stop by there anytime during business hours to try the different seats out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually am nearby, about 25 minutes south of you down 295. Glad to hear he has a warehouse local as well, I was worried he might be an internet only shop. I work in Edison, B-water isn't too far up the road so this should work out. Now all I have to do is another 50 hours of planning, then a few months of construction!
I just PM'd back and forth with Roman and will be giving him a call on my way home from work tonight.

Would love to connect with some local HT folks, shoot me a PM to let me know more about your build/setup.

Chris

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,172 Posts

Quote:

Because of it, my wife now wants a row of barstools behind our 2nd row of seats. As of right now, my front row seats will have a viewing distance of ~11-12' and the 2nd row will have a distance of ~15-16'.

If you are planning Berkline reclining seating you need to plan a difference of 6.5 ft in viewing distances otherwise the 2nd row patrons will be kicking the first row.

You can get a back bar stool row but it would be very difficult. You would need to put the 2nd row riser at 11.5 ft from the screen, short change 2nd row reclining room by using only 6 ft. That would leave you 5.5 ft for a 16 inch bar top and 50 inches for the stool area.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Big, thanks for the input. I saw your recommendation of 6.5' for th riser in another thread (I forget the fellow's name, he had a sketch on graph paper posted and had similar dimensions to my room).

Maybe I need to put some tape down or perhaps mock something up in the dining room because 5 and a half feet sounds like plenty of room. My thoughts are that this will be a purpose built room with no through traffic. I guess that's why I continue to read, plan, read more, re-plan, etc.

I'll post some pictures of what I have in SketchUp in a day or two (busy schedule today/tonight).

Chris

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is my first pass of the HT area, dimensions of "v1" are 22'7" from back wall to screen and 15' even from side-to-side. In an attempt to think about how to widen the room, I'm pretty sure I can get an extra 6-12" of width by framing in the lolli columns and hiding them in bump outs. Of course, I'll lose 6'-12 inches between bump outs due to having to actually bump out from the opposite (outside) wall for symmetry. The issue is that the back set of bump outs will be lining up right next to the front of the riser... exactly where I want the extra room, not less room. I'll call Roman to discuss options, but it looks like I'll be sticking with V1 and electing for a more narrow seating configuration.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts