AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have there been advances in solid state power amps that would actually make them sound better than a 10-15 Y.O. SS amp that was pretty good in it's day? Do new amps sound better or run more efficiently?

I'm looking at used amps the likes of NAD 2600a, Denon POA-2400, Yamaha MX series. My goal is to ease the load on my receiver and gradually move toward seperates. Also trying to give more headroom to my NHT classic 3, 3C, and L5s. There are some bargains out there on these amps and I've always wanted to hear my 3's with dedicated amps (150 to 200 watts).

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I have not seen any hard evidence they have improved that sound of amps. In my experience, audio is so subjective, I have decided that you can't trust anyone's opinion.

I think most of the new features and improvements have been made to the processor end of things. Room correction, better video handling etc.

Class D amps are kinda new. They hold the promise of lighter, cooler, efficient and cheaper power. As with anything in audio, class D has it's supporters and detractors.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
depends on the amp in question. some designs going back 15 years were a little 'ratty' and wouldnt touch them with a barge pole. also depending on the caps used after the 10 year mark theyd be a bit of a lottery and probably needing replacement at a cost likely more than the amps them selves.

there are some excellent affordable designs from the likes of nad, rotel cambridge audio and the like which I'd consider for sure as well apart from what you can pick up s/h

·
Registered
868 Posts
It is all relative. Even 15-20 years ago there existed excellent quality gear for those who could afford it. For example I picked up a stack of made for JBL by Urei amps that came from about '82 or so that sound amazing. They are just two channel so I need a whole pile of them but it's not a big deal for me. In fact I ended up bridging a couple and using them as mono blocks for my front channels. But I got what the lady was saying cost several grand each when new for like $50 a pop. The company I bought them from was a pro gear rental house that was upgrading to all class D stuff since it is so much lighter and just as rugged. You see these old behemoths weigh in at over 80lbs each.

Class D amps can be much more efficient than traditional class AB amps and theoretically better in other ways as well. You really gotta watch yourself though since not everyine in audio engineering knows how to do a class D well. By design these class D amps require knowledge of RF layout techniques in order to gurantee lowest emmissions. You could say that RF design isn't even on the radar for the majority of audio engineers. In practice it comes down to implementation...there are starting to be pretty bitchen class D's but they are relatively new and can be $$$ and really really good class AB's have been available for almost forever and often can be had for chicken scratch.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I use a 19 year old Denon POA-2400 on my mains. I have tried many other amps over the years to replace it, but I always end up sticking with the Denon. I have yet to find an amp that outperform it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input.

I have class D amps in their cheapest form in a Panasonic XR57. I really REALLY like them. The soundstage and detail are amazing and I love how silent is really silent in class D. You seem to get nothing but the signal. I wouldn't be changing, but I need more HDMI inputs, component transcoding, and better bass management.

If any of the new Pioneers with ICEpower amps were going to be in the sub $1200 range, there is no doubt that's where I'd be heading. Instead, I'm thinking of going with a Denon 2809 or similar with outboard amps across the front.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bringing up a old thread.

I also use a Denon POA 2400 for my mains-- B&W 640's

Using a Denon AVR 2809 for the pre-outs to the POA 2400.

Picked up the the 2400 when I was in the Navy overseas...around 1990. It is and has been a great amp.

I have not comapred running the internal amp of the 2809 vs the 2400. Would like to try it one day though.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I am still using a Pioneer AVR plus six Yamaha AST-A10 and M-35 amps I bought in the late 1980s. They are all just fine so far as I can tell. But I must admit to being very impressed with just how cool the D Class amps I recently purchased run!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have a Denon POA 5000 about 20 years old with an Integra 9.8 powering Paradigm speakers I was wondering as well how a new amp would sound. I had the amp checked and cleaned and it works fine but the Emotiva 7 channel looks interesting especially the price .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts